News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Problems in Mexico

Started by s/v Faith, January 09, 2014, 11:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Mexico has long been a favorite of some cruisers, others (like myself) have never had a desire to visit.

Reports have been coming in for some time about problems with the government (and the drug cartels).  The latest issue has been the over 380 boats that were "impounded" by the Mexican government.  Apparently, many of these boats were actually in compliance with Mexican law.  The initial "raid" was conducted and reportably any boat who's crew was ashore was impounded since they were not there to show the paperwork.

I had not shared any of this here because frankly it was so hard to believe even Mexico could do something so outrageous.  Apparently, even cruisers who have subsequently proven they were legal are being held hostage...

Here is a link to the article in lattitude 38.  They are advocating political action, and while I do not oppose that I ask we not turn this thread into a political discussion.

Boats confiscated in Mexico, Lattitude 38

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Do NOT get rid of it. NOTHING political at all. It is a factual, pertinent post, and SOME of us live close enough to Mexico for it to matter. Besides, it is not something brand new. It's been on SailBoat Owner's, among other forums. latest post there by someone who is THERE.

This is the sort of info that small boat, long distance folks SHOULD be seeing.

I'm sure the problem will be resolved as it looks like some new people went a bit overboard and don't want to admit it. Apparently the GOVERNMENT is anxious to resolve the problem.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

I imagine myself in this position.  My ship is tied to a dock with a chain, and a lock....

Man, what a bad deal!

CharlieJ

And you aren't even there to DO something about it, because you don't KNOW it happened..

Here's a link to the thread on Sailboat Owners .com  about the situation. Zeehag is a female long term cruise down there-

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=159072
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

I have been out of the loop (out cruising does that to you)....  ;D

Anyone know if the boats were ever released?

CharlieJ

Quite a few apparently. Maybe not all though, but many. The uproar seems to have died down at any rate

Latest I can find is from Feb 5th claiming most have been released
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Latitude 38 has been following it fairly closely. Most have been released, but the problem is not really resolved.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/LectronicLat.lasso
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Kettlewell

That type of thing makes me nervous, but it shouldn't stop you from going cruising to Mexico. Three hundred or 400 boats sounds like a lot, but as far as I can tell it didn't impact the vast majority of cruisers there, and none at anchor. So yes, it could have been unpleasant, a huge hassle, and possibly expensive, but stuff like that can happen anywhere. Look at what is happening in Europe with countries like Greece and Italy trying to come up with schemes to tax visiting yachts at very high rates. It's one reason I try to sail by the book when it comes to paperwork, clearing in and clearing out, etc. I suspect in this case there probably were and still are a fair number of boats in Mexico without the proper papers, but in their dragnet the Mexicans swept up lots of innocent boat owners too. On a small scale I see this type of thing locally here in the USA--universal traffic stops to check your papers and to make sure you don't look or smell drunk. Our town does them regularly in the summer months when late-night bar hopping is in full swing, and because I often drive places late at night I have been stopped a bunch of times. Very annoying, but part of our world we have to deal with.

Captain Smollett

Are you guys aware of the other problems in Mexico?  Not sure how this is effecting the cruising community (or how it might), but there are communities where local folks are fighting the cartels and the corrupt governments presumed run / controlled by the cartels.

It's been pretty violent so far, and may get worse before it gets better.

Bottom line, Mexico may not be the best place to try to visit at present.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Kinda depends on Where in Mexico.. Seems all that was west coast stuff. On the Mexican east coast, we've been treated quite nicely. Cleared in several year ago in Progreso , Yucatan and the officers flatly refused any "mordida". Just go to the bank, and pay there for your tourist permits.. Now in Isla Mujeres, they were a TAD disappointed we had already cleared in and didn't need, nor want, the "services". But zero hassles, and very friendly.

As a side note, I asked in Progreso about the drug problem. Got told-" we have no drug problem here- the drug lord's families are here and they brook NO problems". Sort of comforting, and sort of disquieting at the same time.

Progreso is the Riviera of the Yucatan.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Kettlewell

In most countries there are safe areas and dangerous areas. When I was in a bad part of Panama a fellow cruiser remarked to me that he had grown up in Patterson, New Jersey, and nothing was as bad as that. In any case, the cruisers' grapevine will alert you to what the latest situation is on the ground, and you may have to adjust your itinerary accordingly, but traveling by boat tends to be very safe. Often the very beautiful coastal towns we like to visit tend to be safe areas because the local people want to keep them that way or else the tourist dollars go elsewhere. And, from what I hear the Caribbean coast of Mexico remains quite safe. I did have a minor issue there because I checked into the country in a sleepy little port near Belize (can't remember the name right now), and the local official didn't give me the right paperwork so when I went to leave the country apparently my papers weren't in order. They eventually let me check out, but I had to escalate it all the way to the chief harbormaster. When I was there the Mexican navy was all over the place patrolling the coast, and we were stopped and boarded offshore for an inspection. But, they acted professionally and everything went smoothly. My point being that the Mexican government is doing a lot to make things safe for visitors, but you still have to act like most of us do anyway--travel with awareness and sometimes caution. Local people will usually help to steer you clear of bad areas too.

sharkbait

I cruised the Baja 09 and 10 and had a great time,even got pulled over by a Mexican battleship of some type, real friendly guys.
In two years the only Mexican I had a problem with was my girlfriend.
No wife, no kids, no debt.

rorik

Quote from: sharkbait on March 07, 2014, 12:23:50 AM
...In two years the only Mexican I had a problem with was my girlfriend.

You owe me a keyboard. Mine has coffee all over it now......  ;D
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

s/v Faith

Quote from: sharkbait on March 07, 2014, 12:23:50 AM
I cruised the Baja 09 and 10 and had a great time,even got pulled over by a Mexican battleship of some type, real friendly guys.
In two years the only Mexican I had a problem with was my girlfriend.

;D ;D ;D

Grog for that one.