I can't believe no one has mentioned it!!!

Started by TJim, April 27, 2008, 09:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJim

Sourdough bread in a sealed plastic container will keep, I think forever, but for at least 7 months and be as fresh as if it were made day before yesterday.  I have some aboard that I'm trying to find out how long it will last.  It's still like day before yesterday and I bought it in September.  By the way, if you don't know,  it also tastes by than regular bread.  TJim

Captain Smollett

I think Susan Hiscock wrote about using sourdough bread.  I think the idea is to save a little dough from each batch to kickstart the next batch.

Seems like an excellent approach for extended cruising.

Grog to ya, TJim!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

TJim-

Are you talking about the baked bread or the starter dough.  Capn Smollett is talking about the starter dough and uncooked sourdough bread by the sounds of it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

TJim

I'm talking about baked bread, not maintaining a starter, as my mother did when I was a kid.  Yep bread that is still good and fresh after 7 months....I think the secret is keeping it from drying out....I still have part of a loaf that I bought in September that as of 3 weeks ago was still good.  I'll be checking it again tomorrow when I get to Berekely....TJim

Shawn T W.

Is this "RYE" bread maybe . . . that certainly will last longer than comparable wheat breads . . . I use to have my own old fashioned woodfired brick oven bakery back in Vermont . . . I only made "Naturally leavened" breads (sour dough, but tell the Vermonter's that!) Mine were made with just flour & water, and a tad of sea salt . . . wheat breads only lasted about a week . . . Rye (German Volkornbrot) would last about a month . . . pizza lasted only about 15 min! ;D

Here is some wheat . . .

And Volkornbrot!

And the oven . . . Hot yet? about 1200 degrees!

Got COALS?

Hungry yet? ;)

Shawn

Frank

Glad I saw that pic before I painted the interior.Going to see if I can get a brick pizza oven to fit into the electra now  :o ;D :D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Shawn T W.

Well . . . I'd keep an eye on the water line . . .  ;D

My bread seamed to get moldy in time . . . not dried out.

Shawn

jotruk

I always enjoy good sour dough bread is there a recipe for cooking it in a pressure cooker?
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

TJim

I just got back from a week on the bay making final preps for heading out on the 30th.  You'd never believe it......That loaf of sour dough is still good.  That's 13 months now.  I've only got about 4 slices
left but it's still relatively moist and the flavor is as original (it's good).  I've just been taking a bite at a
time to stretch it out to see how long it will actually last but at this point I'm wondering if it
will ever go bad.  I think I'll stock about 4 loaves before I leave.  I know I'll not have to worry about it
going bad!!!!! TJ

Shipscarver

I used to make a round loaf of sour dough every 3rd day. The longer you keep the "starter" going the more individual the taste of the bread. Unless you sail in cold waters, you have no problem keeping a "starter" going. I used to keep mine in a small crock.  And, a pressure cooker makes a great oven, but don't expect a beautiful brown crust, just beautiful tasting bread to eat warm with honey and coffee, etc.
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Shawn T W.