The Coast of Summer by Anthony Bailey

Started by macdiver, March 08, 2008, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdiver

I just finished reading " The Coast of Summer" by Anthony Bailey.  This is an account of his two month cruise along the New England coast in 1991 on a Tartan 27.  While mostly based on the 1991 cruise, the book reflects on his 30 years of cruising along New England in small boats. 

Mr. Bailey was born in England.  He lived in the U.S during the 60's and returned to England in the early 70's.  Every year he would return to the U.S. to live on his boat and cruise the New England coast. 

I'm sure this boat would appeal to most of the Sailfar Crowd since it eschews large boats, complex boats.  Mr. Bailey prefers smaller simpler boats and prefers to sail or even drift rather than motor.  Throughout the book, the author points out the advantages of smaller vessels. 

While I'm sure most of the places he visits has larger crowds now, this book makes the New England coast seem like a great place to cruise for the summer.  The author made the various anchorages and destinations as appealing as any descriptions of the Caribbean or south pacific islands that I've read in other books.  The difference being that the ideal sailing season is only a few months long.

Although at some times, Mr. Bailey is a little wordy, the book was a pleasant read.  I'm not sure if this book is still in print.  It was published in 1994.  I found it in my library. 

AdriftAtSea

It's an excellent book... His writing really brings out what some of the places he describes are like.  I have a copy aboard my boat. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more