credit to some forgotten heroes

Started by Manannan, March 12, 2008, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manannan

Let's remember some very courageous women who at their time did incredible things against all odds. They also were magnificent writers. Though they were not sailors, they were among the ones who guided my dreams of voyaging and helped me spread my wings, and make me dare to leave also at an early age.
first : Isabelle Eberhardt, a French explorer, writer, extremely liberated young woman of the late 19 th century who during her fascinating short life (27 years) wandered the Sahara desert disguised as an arab man. She wrote many books. I recommend one : it is her diaries : The Nomad.

second : Alexandra David-Neel, another French woman explorer born in 1868. She was unruly in her childhood, rebellious in her adolescence, anarchist in her youth and one the ''wisest'' free thinkers in the late 20 th century in her old age. Most known for her visit to Lhassa Tibet forbidden then to foreigners. She was an anarchist, spiritualist, buddhist and an incredible writer who wrote 30 books. the one I recommend is : my journey to Lhassa
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

Pappy Jack

Manannan,

Sounds like they're a good read. I'll give them a try if I can find them. It might take awhile 'cause I work on the road and I'm a somewhat of a slooow reader ::).

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

Manannan

Hi Pappy Jack
;D you may be a slow ready but seem to be an avid one.
I realize that I proposed some books hard to find in the US but they deserve the effort to be hunted. (can be find on the internet though). I like those stories where the word adventure has all its true meaning.
another one here who inspired a lot of apprentice adventurers !
(quoting Wikepedia) Henry DE Monfreid was one of those individuals who only find their true focus in life when they stumble across it on their travels. For Monfreid it was to be the African coast from Tanzania to Suez, treacherous routes that he tirelessly sailed in his various expeditions as adventurer, smuggler and gun runner..
at age 95, a few days before his death he said : I have lived a rich, restless, magnificent life..
Hashish : a smuggler's tale
Secret of the Red Sea
(my favorite)
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...