Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Charlie Jones, I'm mad at you!!

Started by Captain Smollett, March 13, 2008, 10:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

No, not really.   ;D

I used that same anit-fouling paint on my lower unit (the OUTBOARD!!), about seven months ago.  It's now covered with growth.

The good news is that today I finally figured out how to raise that outboard completely out of the water.  I tried before, but was unsuccessful - I was being timid with one of the controls.

Anyhoo, I should be able to avoid future growth (after I scrape this batch off) by getting the prop out of the water.

Oh, yeah...note to self.  The zinc is totally gone.   >:(
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

;D ;D

Yeah- so is ours.

But no barnacles- just slime growth that scrubs off easily. But we're quite disappointed in the paint. My hull has the same, largely because we don't GO ANYWHERE.

Our zinc was barely gone but I put a new one in anyway. Haven't checked it lately though

The boat HAS been slept aboard the last three Weds nights. Both us us out three weeks ago over night, Laura by herself last Weds since I was out of town, and both of us at the marina last night. I suppose that's SOMETHING

Laura and I were discussing the lower unit today in fact- I really don't know what else to try cause we cannot get it out of the water.

Laura has found a heavy rubberized "flushing bag" we are contemplating buying to pull up over the lower unit while in the slip, then either pump the water out, or fill it with fresh.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

I *DO* have barnacles on the lower unit, not just plant growth.   >:(

Maybe the tannic acid in the water here has made ultra robust barnacles.   ;D

Flushing bag, eh?  Sounds interesting. 

It looks funny, but at least I can get the prop all the way out of the water now.  That should help.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

skylark

Quote from: Captain Smollett on March 13, 2008, 10:56:10 PM
I *DO* have barnacles on the lower unit, not just plant growth.   >:(

I hate it when that happens!
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan