News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Galveston to Cozumel

Started by mike_hancock, April 03, 2008, 03:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_hancock

Has anybody made the run from the Texas coast to Cozumel? If so, I would love to get some details.

Mike H

nmwarren

Hi Mike, I would be interested in this too.  I think most people shoot for Isle Mujeres, which is off the coast from Cancun (Cozumel is farther south, off the coast near Playa del Carmen).

Anyways, from what I have read, it can be a somewhat difficult passage because the prevailing winds are from the southeast, which is directly where you want to go (check out the free pilot charts online, NOAA site or whatever).  I emailed "Panama Dave" from another forum about this...you can find him on cruisersforum.com...search for some of his posts.  He has a boat in Kemah or near there.  Here's what he had to say:

"Crossing to Isla is actually easier than getting to Florida.  The course is just a few degrees different and it's slightly closer.  Leave after a frontal passage if possible and sail like heck to try to beat the next one.  I crossed in January before and didn't see a single cold front.  Progresso is a good alternative if the SE wind doesn't let up."

Also, if you are looking for some offshore experience in the Gulf from Galveston, check this out:
http://www.veracruzregatta.com/

Lynx

There used to be a sailboat race every year. Do able but with the right winds.
MacGregor 26M

vinegarj

i believe the race.....galveston to veracruz....was/is called "the regatta de amigos" (+/-) or something very close to that.  a google search should pull up a fair amount of info.  it's an every-other-year regatta.   probably held in june.
my recollection is that most of the fleet sail about 125 nm offshore and most boats do a lot of motoring.  there's a daily die-off of winds.
if you wanted hop down the coast, the skinny is that many of the ports/towns may not be real sailboat friendly.  however, i've traveled the brownsville to veracruz route a fair amount (by land) and have had a helluva good time (go tampico!!!!!).