News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Keeping food

Started by Auspicious, August 19, 2008, 08:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auspicious

I enjoy cooking. A lot. Over the last few years I have been making more items from scratch (bread, pancakes, mayonnaise, mustard, yogurt), saving a bit of money but mostly enjoying the process.

It should be no surprise that the Internet is a big resource for me, or that I have stumbled across the growing movement against food waste. One of the tenets of the move to reduce food waste is keeping food longer, and I'm finding lots of good ideas. One point is that the number of people engaged far outnumber cruising sailors and so knowledge from experimentation can accumulate more quickly.

This is good stuff people: little things like washing lettuce when you buy it and storing it wrapped in a damp towel in a cooler, wrapping celery in aluminum foil, and what keeps better in paper, in plastic, and in or out of the refrigerator.

I'm going back to Lin Pardey's Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew and other cruising classics to pick up some of the common practices to feed into the "no-waste" crowd to test and see what we learn.

If you are interested, check out Jonathons blog here: http://www.wastedfood.com/

I'll report back regardless.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Shawn T W.

My Father always wraps his bananas individually in alum foil, and puts them in the fridge, and they will stay fresher by a week, then unwrapped ones (the skin gets a funny dark greenish yellow color, but the inside is great!) He then "Recycles" the foil on the next hand of bananas!

Shawn

Lynx

Sail Away!: A Guide to Outfitting and Provisioning for Cruising (Paperback, 1998)
Author: Paul Shard

Has the best description of how to care for food that I have read as well as the most practical. Saved me many of $$ so far.
MacGregor 26M

Shipscarver

A Guide to Outfitting and Provisioning for Cruising

$31.00 for a used paperback.  :o
Out of my league.  :(  But, I will keep it in mind when I go to the flea markets.
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

CharlieJ

I found one for 19.95

Also look into the 1995 edition of Care and Feeding of the Offshore Crew by the Pardeys
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera