Small boat long distance New Zealand

Started by Kiwi25, May 15, 2008, 05:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi25

Hi my name is Ian and this is my first post.  I am in New Zealand, and I own several Hartley 18s, and more other boats than I really want to reveal... ;).  Luckily I have a small farm so storage is not a problem for me.  I have been visiting for a while and think this is a great site.  More about me and my dreams later.

I wanted to let you all know about a planned trip in a 21 ft  plywood yacht around the world via the Southern Ocean and Cape Horn.  Not my cuppa tea but an "interesting" idea.  The boat has been built and just launched and the story so far is at  www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/sundowner/update.htm

Lots of interesting concepts and ideas from this local designer.  I would say typically Kiwi..do it yourself and on a budget. 
    I'll start another post about another small boat trip I encountered when I lived in Samoa.

Ian 

AdriftAtSea

I think that website is about Charlie Whipple's Resolution. Charlie's got a monthly article in the magazine Small Craft Advisor.  His articles have been about the trials and tribulations of constructing the boat, which was designed by John Welsford, a Kiwi boat designer.

Charlie Whipple's Blog is located HERE
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more