Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Making a Nano

Started by Toucantook, May 07, 2008, 12:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toucantook

Here's what you do... ::)

Take an 8ft or so dink.  Any one will do, if it's fiberglass.  Take out the middle seat and install a bulkhead.  Make a dagger board trunk and install it off center so as to make room for the berth down the middle.  You will probably have to do a cutout in the bulkhead for the same reason.  If it is a sailing dink and has a centerboard, it will have to be moved to the side.

The berth is a pipe berth made by utilizing the oar shafts for the pipes.  On Nano, the blades come off, the shafts are slipped into the pipe berth, and then dropped into chocks for and aft.  They also rest on the bulkhead.  It's about like sleeping on a cot.

The stove is mounted into a cutout in the rear seat.  How you do this depends on the stove you choose to use.  The oven I have is a stainless folding type much like the Coleman unit.  You could use one of those, though eventually rust will get to it.

The conestoga like cover is supported by fiberglass rods, ala dome tent.  The rods stow on the inside of the gunwale. 

Stick on a rudder and you're good to go gunkholing to your heart's desire!  Great for the Keys or the Ten Thousand Island area...

Oh yeah, I also put two reef points in the sail, both of which I've used a good bit...

I will attempt to clarify any point if anybody needs it.... this is pretty sketchy....

AdriftAtSea

Do you have any photos of this???
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

So, Stuart, when you are in the pipe berth, you are basically lying at or near the level of the seats, right?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Toucantook

Correct.  In fact, the pipes lie on top of what used to be the seats.  This puts the center of gravity just above the waterline, and less when she's loaded, so she is quite stable when snoozing. 

The top is high enough that you can sit up on the berth with plenty of head room.  In fact, you can stand up to put your pants on.  I can, anyway.

I should have also mentioned that she has fat pool noodles lashed to the exterior of the gunwale for flotation, along with a duffel sized Watershed dry bag.

Here's a pic of her from the last trip down in the bay.  This was the only time I got out of the boat the whole trip, other than Buttonwood Sound.  Tied off to a dock, there.

Toucantook

Here's a pic... maybe....