Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Exercised the Dink Today

Started by Captain Smollett, May 27, 2008, 11:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Well, I guess *I* go the exercise.   :)

Took the children out for a nice, leisurely row on the lake.  We were out a couple of hours.  Saw numerous egrets. heard some jays squawking from the trees and I THINK I saw a blue heron.

I had plenty of time to ponder two things sail-far related:

(1) - Ways I can fashion a sailing rig on my inflatable dingy.

(2) - Ways to Nano-ify the dink.  Sure, she's a foot or so longer than Nano, and it's not like I can drill into the hull to mount hardware, but hey....I was trying to imagine such a tent-like setup.

;D ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Oldrig

Hey Capt.

A few years ago there was a company in Corvalis, Oregon, that was selling a sailing rig for inflatables.

The product was called the "Scully Fin," and the guy was named Jeff Jelten.

I couldn't find any recent references to his product, so I don't know if he's still in business.

You might try a more complete web search.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Oldrig on May 31, 2008, 06:20:35 PM
Hey Capt.

A few years ago there was a company in Corvalis, Oregon, that was selling a sailing rig for inflatables.

The product was called the "Scully Fin," and the guy was named Jeff Jelten.

I couldn't find any recent references to his product, so I don't know if he's still in business.

You might try a more complete web search.

--Joe

Thanks!  I'll check into that.

What I was thinking about was something like a leeboard that is an inverted "J" shape, so the hook loops over the tube.  Make a free standing short sprit rig mounted on a cross shaped support, and see what happens.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Lynx

There is some rigs for canoes.

This site has some info -
http://www.watertribe.com/
MacGregor 26M

Captain Smollett

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina