I gave up today getting the Zodiac's motor started!

Started by Antioch, June 04, 2008, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antioch

Well it's been doing that annoying drizzle all day today, here in Portland Harbour... I sat out in the zodiac for the first time and tried for 10 minutes to get the old Evinrude 4 up and running.. but it was not going to happen in the cold and wetness for a motor that has always run in California and Arizona.  The rain was bugging me, and so I decided to try again later... I will say, that I am very impressed with the stability of the Zodiac 260, which allows me to get in and out from the side from the dock, and it doesn't feel like it's about to flip over... I can easily stand up in her too.. although I was being very careful.

P   O    R    T    L    A   N    D    -    M    A    I    N    E

s/v Faith

Robin,

I would suggest you take a look at the plug.  If it is wet, and it probably is clean it or replace it.  If the fuel is old, dump it and replace it.  If this does not work, take a look at this thread.

As a last result, there is the dirty little secret of motor 'repair'.  Engine starting fluid is a great 'cheat' to get a stubborn motor running.  You just have to be careful not to use too much.  You can run a motor on the stuff for a prolonged period of time, but if you do you can easily remove the cylinder lubrication and cook the motor.  Good stuff, but in SMALL doses only.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.