Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Just eat out

Started by Iceman, January 07, 2006, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman

With all the money we save by owning small boats
Just take the extra cash and eat out at the local eatries we find along our routes

To heck with cooking

Ice ;D

CharlieJ

LOL- RIIIIIIIIIIIIIght.  ;) Try finding someplace where you can "just eat out"  in the Marquessas or Dry Tortugas, down off the Keys.

Or anywhere along the Texas Bays here where we sail. Ain't no such places around.

Besides- sure is nice to be, as we were earlier this year- rocking along on a broad reach heading out into Mississippi Sound from the La ICW. Laura went below and was busy in the cabin. A while later she handed me up a plate of pancakes, with bacon on the side. Well, it really wasn't bacon- what it was was thinly sliced Spam, fried like bacon.

But we were some 2 hours out from anchor up when she did it, making about 4 knots toward that nights intended anchorage.

Can't do that by eating out ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

hearsejr

geuss we could get a girlfriend in every port...then have them cook for us when get to the closest doc...lololol

Iceman

But..Isnt everyones favorite song "Cheeseburger in Paradise"

We did the intracoatal a few years ago and lived on board in New Bern NC for 5 years

Nothin like hushpuppies pork barbecue, crayfish, all you can eat blueclaws in Maryland, all you can eat shrimp in Charleston,bluefish/tuna in NJ

;D

hearsejr

kewl which place in New Bern were staked out at?

Iceman

Lived aboard a Tartan 30 at the Sheratom Marina

Iceman

Sheraton Marina
I gotta use spell checker

starcrest

the average person can actually survive 20-30 days with out food.(those that need to loose half there body mass can probably go longer).However no one can survive more than 10 days with out water. (Thats according to a book called Sea Survival)It was 34 days from oahu to monterrey with starcrest 2.there were no local eateries along the way to stop off at.....so this is not feasable for the long distance transoceanic voyager.it was then several hundred miles of motoring along what I consider to be a harsh and inhospitable coastline with few harbors along the way.I did stop at several however.Morro Bay (that inlet can be nasty)SantaBarbara (they have a nice little fishermans wharf..and I graduated from their city college in 1988)Ventura Harbor (you cant live there without a third reich style permit) Oxnard(they dont like that name they prefer channel Islands)and finally back home to Marina Del Rey (where I will admit to being the source of a Bay Watch episode).this boat I have now I purchased 5 miles from launch pad 34b at cape canaveral.The intercoastal  waterway  has a multitude of marinas and local eateries along the way.so for coastwise cruising this is quite feasable and I have infact been doing so for the last 5 years and let me tell you it is quite enjoyable.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

CapnK

Ice - Why even leave the boat? Just have the food delivered... ;D

Eric - Hilarious descriptions of those Cali ports. Did you get to make out with Pamela Anderson? ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

I love cooking on the boat.  Something about firing up the grill, having a glass of wine and cooking while the sunsets.  If you let everyone get hungry, give them a few glasses of wine, they will think that whatever you cook is the best they ever had. 
I was doing a little weeklong trip with some friends.  We were headed down the ICW....boring... all motor.  I went below and made biscuits, fried potatoes, bacon, eggs and cooked apples.  I made little breakfast plates and put them in Walmart bags.  I radioed the other boat, told them to come alongside with their boat hook extended.  We passed breakfast platters off and got the day started off right. 
Nothing like a good hot meal on the water. 
I use a toaster oven if I am at dockside.  I have a 2 burner origo alcohol stove and a propane grill on the stern that I have figured out how to make biscuits on.   YUMMMMM
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

hearsejr

Quote from: Iceman on January 07, 2006, 06:20:01 PM
Sheraton Marina
I gotta use spell checker

Iceman,  I wish I knew you were out there, I used to go that way all the time.

what do yall think about cooking some of the meals at home just like you would as if you were out in the middle of a cruise. that way you'll know what works out and what you would not likely to eat after its done.

Iceman

Capnk
I pizza place in New Bern did deliver to the boat
and the Sheraton had specials at that time for us liveaboards

I used to work at Barbour Boatworks which is now a parking lot for thr Tryon Palace and the wife worked at the Chelsea Restaurant..I was head electrician and she was a waitress
Tartan was named EASY RIDER

We are planning a return with the Voyager in the near future ;D

Iceman

Capnk
I almost forgot
We lived aboard the Tartan @ Block Island Rhode Island for 4 months with the Tartan 30

Boats actually delivered bread, ice, and pumped out the holding tanks

;D

s/v Faith

Ice,

Sail boaters are supposed to be cheap..... we have a reputation to uphold.  ;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

hearsejr

hi Iceman, I remember Barbour Boatworks.  I think I still have their card in my treasure case.
at one time they had a tug boat out there, that I was looking at. it was a hull in need of almost everything else. it was a black hull, and red belly, white cabin, and black cabin top.
I hated to see the old B&B leave.  ofcourse at the time I was sailing in a sunfish ans cruising the coastal places in that. by time I got me a real boat they were gone.
Bill

Jack Tar

Allways something good to eat here in Puget Sound. Fresh Salmon, crab, shrimp. calamari, and lots of octopus, clams or various sorts.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

Pixie Dust

Quote from: Jack Tar on January 10, 2006, 12:01:05 AM
Allways something good to eat here in Puget Sound. Fresh Salmon, crab, shrimp. calamari, and lots of octopus, clams or various sorts.

is that empty plate in the picture for moi??? That sure looks like some good food!!
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Kailyst

Quote from: Jack Tar on January 10, 2006, 12:01:05 AM

I could happily exist on that sort of fare! Unfortunately, my SO is not fond of shellfish.  :o Although he HAS learned an appreciation for Cream of Crab Soup since moving here to Maryland. Give me time and I'll have him picking crabs in no time!  ;D
We're all here because we're not all there.

Iceman

I am glad to see that us sailfar people will not die of starvation
Im happy this thread got us all thinking about great food

Wonder what our fellow cruisers in the mid west/ great lakes might dine on..is there such a thing as freshwater lobster :P

Solace

Great Lakes checking in here. Lots of fresh water fish - might think twice about eating some of them. I'm not a fisherman, but having sailed round the clock before there sure are a lot of fishermen around here. Not much in the way of good shellfish. sigh. Give me the west coast for that - or Maryland for the crab. Always stop in at Buddy's whenever I hit Annapolis, for my fill of crab. Mostly, we either buy it at the grocery store and BBQ or cook onboard or all too often we eat out. I know I'd have a much larger boat if I didn't eat out so often. :) On Lake Ontario there is always a restaurant close by.

Cheers!

John