Ways to make money while cruising on a small boat.

Started by Gerald A. Gotts, July 06, 2008, 08:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerald A. Gotts

As I am new to this world of cruising I would like some info. on making some money while cruising.  I don't need much but enough to get by as I don't have many large debts.  An old college friend who lives in his sailboat and cruises the Caribbean told me long ago that there were some ways of making a small amt. of money.  Cutting hair etc.  maybe collecting fish for pet shops?

Jerry    :)

Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

Bill NH

Maybe think about the skills you already have?  Many times these skills are also needed in the islands or in the cruising community.

And in my experience there's almost always an opportunity for someone who's willing to work hard to earn a few bucks...
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

diesel repair, air conditioning repair, electrical repair, plumbing, rigging, fiberglass repair, carpentry, are all possibilities. so are photography, writing, web design, etc.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

I've a friend, on another board, who does refrigeration work in Ohio, and has been doing it for quite some time.

He bought a big boat, 50' or so down in the islands. He spent a lot, most, if not almost all of his retirement money to do so. When he went down on a quick trip to see the boat for the first time in person, he was horrified at what he'd bought. It was really freaking him out. Then, adding insult to injury, *after* he came back to the States, the marina where it was located told him he had 60 days to get it out of there...

So 60 days later, he and another guy go to move the boat, a trip which winds up requiring a rescue by the Coast Guard when things like chainplates letting go happened offshore. They did get the boat into a port under tow.

Pretty bad story, huh?

Well, when he was down there, he told some people he knew refrigeration, and was looking for work. He has so many jobs lined up already that he and his fiance are moving from Ohio to the VI, planning on getting a house down there.

I've met transients - ones who've sailed here across the Atlantic, who've told me that I could make a great living in the Canaries or Azores, fixing shipboard computer problems.

And one circumnavigator I recently read about financed most of her trip around the world with drawings and paintings she made aboard her boat...

I think that there are lots of ways to make some funds for the cruisin' kitty, if you want to. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Joe Pyrat

If you scuba you can always clean bottoms.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Zen

I have been thinking along the lines of doing some boat decorative rope work;

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Lynx

Take a great deal of caution when working outside of your home country. You may loose it all quickly. I suggest staying in your home country and cruise if you need to make money. Work out the problems cruising. All the time trying to find that big money and dangerous job for a year to fund the cruising kitty. Do that and then come back and enjoy your curise until the money runs out.

Please not that I do not define livingaboard working for a month or more cruising.
MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

The biggest problem is if you're constantly moving, any kind of steady employment is basically out of the question.  What other skills do you have.  Be aware that getting work in other countries may require getting a work permit/visa and not doing so and getting caught may have dire consequences.

Some of the possible skills that are marketable are:

Diesel repair, electrical/electronics repair, air conditioning repair, canvas work, writing, photography, painting, consulting, scuba instruction, boat bottom cleaning,  etc.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

bobnlesley

You note 'barber' amongst your skills - How long ago? How good?

I'm not sure about mens hair (I just shave mine during the cruising season) but we met a girl in the Western Mediterranean a couple of years ago who was a ladies hairdresser; whilst her yacht wasn't set up as a salon in anyway, she seemed to make a healthy income from providing a cutting and trimming service for the girls.

s/v Faith

Jerry,

I went ahead and merged this thread in with the one you had started before to keep folks from repeating themselves.

I can tell you that the three biggest things that we heard people complaining about having problems with, and that were constantly in need of repair where ever we went were;

1.) Watermakers.  We heard discussion of faulty watermakers where ever we went.  We were off of Cat Island, and had not seen another cruising boat in almost a month... we see a sail on the horizon and quickly learn they were headed back from Inagua to either Georgetown or Nassau to wait for a new part for their watermaker.  Being an expert at watermaker repair may be handy, but I bet it would also require carrying some parts, especially those perishable & costly membranes.

2.) Refrigeration.  As has already been mentioned, installed refrigeration systems are a constant source of trouble.... and it is hard to find someone to repair them.  The problem again may be that you would need to carry some parts, and some refrigerant aboard if you were going to fix most of the problems folks have 'out there'.

3.) Communication systems.  People with SSB seemed to spend as much time on their VHF, talking about repairs to their SSB as they did on the SSB.  Add to that the constant talk about their 'pactor' modems refusing to work and the related computer problems and it was apparent that this was a viable source of income for some.

Many countries like the Bahamas are very strict about folks working without government approval.  You could not just come in and set up shop... at least not for long.  We did talk to some folks who did, and they said that it worked ok until you made someone angry.  Most people get around this by replying when someone calls on the radio and says 'my xxxxx is not working, does anyone know where I can get it fixed?'  It is also helpful to have boat cards printed up with some of your talents mixed in.  Something like;

Joe Schmoe
S/V May Day

MayDay1@lost.com

USCG Master, PADI instructor,
Certified welder, AC&R mechanic, ....

Good luck!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Artful

Myself being a diesel mechanic, with both a/c and electronic certificates, I was planning on having a flag made to fly and show tradesman on board.  Have a friend who is a tool and die machinist who does such a thing in the Carb, he has ample of work helping traveling boats, he has experienced no problems
The Artful Dodger
www.theartfuldodger.blogspot.com

Gerald A. Gotts

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas and input.  I do have some very basic knowledge of refrigeration but not near enough to claim to be an expert.  I probably know enough to get myself into trouble.  I have repaired my home unit but.....

I was a pretty good barber and did rather well with womens hair styles.  I am pretty experienced in Scuba with several hundred dives under my belt and have scrubbed a few bottoms before.  This probably has the greatest potential for me as almost everyone needs their hull scrubbed now  and then.

Thank you so much.  I would have  replied sooner but was out of town for a bit.  My boat is called Voyager and I need to make her live up to that name.
                    Thanks !!!!!
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

dean

You might take a welding course or two, Learn basic stick then TIg ,you would be surprised how many welders cant Tig/heliarc etc. you can slide into refineries and power plants along the way once you find out the outages. when they are shutdown you work 84 hours a week until they are done ,usually one to six weeks.lots of overtime then lots of cruising time.  Most marinas have some welding jobs kicking around if you ask. With the new technology you could carry a 110 volt miller welder that is hardly bigger than a couple loafs of bread .They are between 800 and 1500. but lots of construction jobs are using them now . If you want to tig youd also need a argon cyl ,they can be half the size of a dive cyl.  Good luck

Lynx

the best advice from me is -

In your spair time WORK at finding a much better paying job where your expenses are much less. At best, move the boat there and live on it or work overseas and have the living expenses paid or included and put the money aside. In a year, if your boat is in GREAT shape, you will be off and not have to worry about the money for a few seasons.

It took me 9 months to do this. I was boatless. 3 years latter and money given to kids and paid off debts and buying a new coastal cruiser (much more than others have spent on their cruisers) and well outfitting it, I was off and still am.

I do not consider I am a cruiser, I am on VACATION. I have to go back to work some day.

I do not consider that I have a cruising boat but a vacation boat. I do not have to fix it in far away places. In fact, the boat itself, has not broken. I had a Lightening strike that fried my VHF and the rest has been maintenance or improper install or me being stupid.
MacGregor 26M