Independence Day at the Lake

Started by Captain Smollett, July 05, 2008, 10:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I hope everyone (here) had a happy, fun and safe Independence Day.

We launched the little boat and got underway at 16:00.  The ramp we used was about 7 miles from where the fireworks are shown, and we TRIED to launch at a closer ramp.  No go, too crowded, and the redneck contingent was in High Visibility Mode.  As we sat at that ramp, a t-storm was brewing to the w-sw and we knew it was going to hit any minute.

So, we elected to drive up to our usual ramp though it meant being twice as far away.  We drove through that t-storm, and when arriving at the other ramp, the parking lot was only about 4/5 full.

Got underway and sailed and motorsailed to make our way to the fireworks.  The day was hot (mid 90's), humid (I was soaking wet) and the wind was very light.  When there was wind at all, it was topping out at about 5 kts, with that lasting only about 30 sec or so.  Not really sailing conditions.

The motorboat chop was horrendous, though the traffic on the lake was notably less than in years previous on the 4th.  We did have one pair of jet skiers head right at us and try to splash water into the cockpit.  I may start carrying a shotgun on busy lake days.

Killing the engine, we ghosted up the cove to the sail club in which we used to be members.  I didn't recognize any of the boats.  We did see one really cool boat, ketch rigged with wooden masts and a nice clipper bow.  The rake on the rig suggested schooner, but the mast positions and heights said "ketch."  It made me wonder if the masts were not installed backwards?

Not enough breeze to tack back out of the cove, so we started motorsailing again.  As we got to our anchorage, it became very clear just how fewer boats there were this year.  There was plenty of room to anchor!  We dropped the hook between two islands in about 25 ft of water.  I let out almost all my rode, a bit over 150 feet.  There was insufficient breeze to even hold us against the anchor.

Anchored, the chop was very uncomfortable.  Well, getting waked from ski boats and the "full throttle only" crowd passing constantly on either side and in various directions did not help.

We tried to fish for a little while, and I caught one tiny little catfish.  Becky got very frustrated with the fishing (she was helping the children), which gives an idea of how insane it was (she grew up in Colorado and LOVES to fish).

We ate a dinner of hot dogs, pea salad and cold veggies (tomatoes, celery sticks, etc) and FRESH HOMEMADE LEMONADE!!!  It was a great dinner, if the 'restaurant' was a bit bouncy.

As it was getting dark, I got a 'warning ticket' from the DNR for my anchor light being out!   :-[  The guys were very nice, very professional and made jokes and small talk with us for a bit before heading  off.  One thing they commented about was the HUGE decrease in the number of boats this year.  They gave my children "I got caught wearing my Life Jacket" t-shirts.  This took a little explaining to the children - they did not get the facetiousness of the saying, at first believing they did something wrong (the 'got caught' line threw them off a little).  Hunter was ready to take hers off to make things right.   :) 

A bit before the fireworks started, a pontoon boat came and settled in near us...too close.  I thought he anchored, but he did not.  He just pulled in, killed in engine and drifted.  As he got close enough for me to grab the boat hook and prepare to fend off, he fired up, moved back up to where he started and did the same thing.  This went on for several cycles before he finally moved "down wind" or at least "down drift" from us.

The fireworks show was great, lasting about 30-35 minutes.  Of course, we had many private homes on the lake shooting their own, so the total show started about an hour earlier and lasted until well after midnight.  I continue to believe that one of the coolest things about watching the fireworks on the lake is echoes you get from the shore behind you.  Incredible.

While waiting about 20 minutes for the bulk of the boat traffic to clear out, we had our dessert of fresh cold strawberries and whipped cream.  Yummy.  We then got underway to head back.  I motored, not even trying to sail.  If not for two things, I would have sailed back: my wife had to get up early to go to work today and all that lightning and thunder getting closer.  Though not trying to "outrun" the storm, I figured better to not get caught with the sails up if some sudden winds hit.  Without the 'schedule' and the storminess, I would have been content to take 4-5 hours getting back to the ramp.  In the wind we had, that's about what it would have taken.

Aside from a little concern about the lightning, the trip back was beautiful.  Becky and the children napped in the cabin.  The lake sure does look different at night - though I've been out there at night a few times, the contrast remains striking to me.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Godot

Nice story.  Thanks for sharing.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

s/v Faith

We anchored out in Pensacola bay last night and watched the 'Sertoma' display.  It was great. 

Billed as one of the largest gulf coast fireworks displays,  the show is put on with private funds and is part of a community celibration that includes a boat parade and several shore side activites.

We got underway at about 4, and passed by part of the parade;

It was a litte bit bumpy on the hook, but the barge we anchored near turned out to be the fireworks barge.  We were concerned we would be asked to move, but only the boats that came in after us had to.  I would estimate somewhere between 750 and 1000 boats were anchored out, but we only had one person set too close to us... they moved without being asked.

Several of the boats from the parade anchored near us, including this guy;

Cold chicken, watermellon, and a good time were had by all.  :)

Pictures taken by PNJ photographer
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Sounds like a great time. They have a show at Lakeport on Clear  Lake near me here, but it becomes a real zoo with power boaters. And since it would be Lake County sheriffs dept. patrolling it, one's  life would be in double jeopardy ::)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward