the easy way to cook fish fillets

Started by Manannan, June 17, 2008, 12:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manannan

I love fish, but do not really like the smell of fried fish lingering in the boat especially when the weather does not permit any hatch opening. So something very simple : fill up a pan of sea water, boil it, put your fish in one plate, cover with another one, put it on top of the pot, let it there for 2 to 3 minutes. Your fish is cooked and already in its plate. it is like steaming it.
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

Delezynski

Something we like to do with fish, that works even in moderate weather, use a deep pan (pressure cooker for security). Put in a jar pf Pace Picante (or ANY type of sauce), drop in the fish fillets, cover and heat for a bit. Easy, simple and wonderful!

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

Shipscarver

Excellent!  Thank you. I combined the two ideas and the result came out as if prepared in a microwave. Great thinking!
I really appreciate ideas like these.  I don't eat meat; but cannot break my addiction to free fish.    :o
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Joe Pyrat

I've poached fish and didn't notice any fish smell.  Here's the recipe I use.

POACHED SALMON   

1/4 c. olive oil
2 cloves sliced garlic
3/4 c. white wine
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
Pepper to taste
1 tsp. parsley
2 lbs. salmon filet

Saute in large skillet olive oil and garlic. Add white wine and cover until it stops spitting. Cook 6 minutes covered. Add chicken broth, pepper and parsley and cook 6 minutes. Put in salmon, cover, and cook 6 minutes each side.

I have used this with other fish like tilapia and haddock.  The tilapia seemed to fall apart, (may have been due to the thin portions) but was still good, the haddock worked well though, but I preferred the salmon.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat