Zac Sunderland; circumnavigation

Started by Zen, May 06, 2008, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Tim

I'm going to start a topic about this 16 year old since he is on his way.  He's is living the dream many of us had at his age, I think it will be fun to follow him. His blog is a a pretty good read so far IMHO

http://www.zacsunderland.com/index.html
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

AdriftAtSea

Given his age, he still sounds far more prepared than some of the other sailors who have headed off on aborted circumnavigations in the last couple of years. For example:  Heather Neill, David Vann and Ken Barnes. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Tim

I think his motivation will be a key to his success. This seems to be HIS dream from the very beginning, and if he can avoid getting caught up in the notoriety of the event I believe he will do it.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Godot

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on June 21, 2008, 12:13:15 PM
Given his age, he still sounds far more prepared than some of the other sailors who have headed off on aborted circumnavigations in the last couple of years. For example:  Heather Neill, David Vann and Ken Barnes. :)

Please, can we let the unfortunate failed attempts fade away, and concentrate more on the successful?  Or if we have to come back to them, let's try and concentrate on what we can learn from the attempt, and not on the issue of it failing.  Trying and failing in my book is less of a sin than NOT trying at all (a sin that I, and probably most here, am so far guilty).  I don't believe any of the above examples are worthy of the scorn that is being heaped upon them. 

Frankly, I think I have been convinced that if (when!) I get out into the deep blue that I will keep it a secret.  God forbid if something should go wrong and I have to listen to months of derision because of it.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Lynx

Quote from: s/v godot on June 21, 2008, 02:40:41 PM
[Frankly, I think I have been convinced that if (when!) I get out into the deep blue that I will keep it a secret.  gol forbid if something should go wrong and I have to listen to months of derision because of it.

You might find it hard to believe that when I was discussing a long coastal cruise the number of people casting derision. I still get it sometimes. It was nice to be able to communicate to people who had the same desire and encouragement.
MacGregor 26M

hearsejr

why plan? you just decide to go to that place, spend some time, then you say maybe we can to this place...pretty soon it's closer to keep going then to turn around.
as for me I will go around the world but I care less what poeple say when I set out from my slip, and care more of what poeple say when I leave their port. always want to leave a good impression ya know.

Tim

Zac is about halfway to Hawaii although it sounds like he does not intend to stop unless compelled to. His blog continues to be an interesting read.

His "light touch" to writing and descriptions for the lay (non-sailor) is refreshing. His progress is not as fast as he would like and it is unfortunate that he is worried about his weather window down South.

But I guess that goes with the territory.

W.A. Ward

CapnK

Good to hear it is going well for him.

Quote from: Tim on June 29, 2008, 09:02:27 PMHis progress is not as fast as he would like and it is unfortunate that he is worried about his weather window down South.

Timetables and sailing - ne'er the twain shall meet (happily, that is...).

'Nuff said. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

For those that have not been tracking him, he made Port Moresby New Guinea yesterday.

He has to put in for some engine repair, butI'd say the young whippersnapper is doing OK so far.

W.A. Ward

dnice

Looks like Zac has some competition.

This 16y/o kid has some serious financial backing and a 50ft ocean racer to attempt to take the record away from Zac before he even gets it.

Here is the full article

$63,000 for some communication equipment!!!?? Wow.
I could buy a boat and sail around the world with that   :)

What sucks is this could put alot of pressure on Zac to push on even if he doesn't feel comfortable with a weather window or even a whole season! or whatever else.

AdriftAtSea

I wonder if Mike realizes how much trouble a 50' boat can get into if he's not careful. 

Personally, I think it sucks for Zac.  IMHO, it shows a fundamental difference between two different schools of philosophy... IMHO, Zac is doing this for himself...and the publicity is merely a side effect—Mike is doing this as a massive and well financed publicity stunt—and the sailing around the world is a mere side effect of the stunt.

Zac bought and outfitted his boat himself, with mainly his own savings... and has prepared himself by working as a sailor... Mike is being given his boat, having someone "manage" it and the manager is also training him.  IMHO, Mike represents some of the worst of today's youth—where they have stuff handed to them on a platter, when others have put years of hard work into achieving the same thing.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

CharlieJ

My sentiments exactly.

And Zac ,even if he gets the record taken from him, will have MUCH more personal satisfaction in years to come.

Sad for the second kid really.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Sadly a piece of social commentary. I will still be putting my money on Zac, the sea has a way of evening the scales.

W.A. Ward

chris2998

I've been following Zac since pretty much the begining and at 16 all I can say is wow I know that someday I will be able to do this

Marc

I totally agree with Adrift, Zac is doing it the hard and honest way whereas this other kid will just have to push a few buttons, turn a couple knobs and take a ride around the world.  How sad, even my 12 yr old daughter says that it is not right.  I'm still putting my money on Zac.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

chris2998

what is the website of this rich kid you all are talking about trying to sail around the world??

AdriftAtSea

Mike's site is http://www.sailmike.com/

Quote from: chris2998 on November 11, 2008, 02:15:01 PM
what is the website of this rich kid you all are talking about trying to sail around the world??

BTW, from Mike's site:

QuoteThe Boat:

Mike's team has chartered a 50 ft Open racing yacht, owned by the Escoffier family for the World Challenge trip.

The boat was named TotallyMoney.com at the 2008 Southampton Boat Show in September, in honour of one of Mike's major sponsors.

The Major Sponsors:

QuoteTotally Money     Without Totally Money coming on board to take us up to a 75% funding position this project would not have got off the drawing board.
     Vocalink    This was our first major contributor and gave us the confidence that businesses were prepared to support a 16 year old undertaking such a big adventure.
     Skechers    Supported Mike to enable him to become the youngest person to sail single-handed across the Atlantic. Their continued support has been built up from good relationships.
     Mastervolt    Offered to donate all necessary electrical equipment, which has made the difference between having enough power for all the communication equipment or having very little.
     Kemp sails    Have provided a full set of sails for the voyage. The focus has been on providing Mike with sails that are easy to handle, strong and will perform well in all conditions. Attention to detail has included adding a bolt rope to the mainsail to allow him to attach himself and climb to the top without swinging all over the place.

Personally, I hope Zac kicks Mike's butt... :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

chris2998

I don't even understand how someone can get sponsoerd to do all this is it just because it is a record ting or what

AdriftAtSea

Chances are more than likely it has a lot to do with who his father is, rather than who Mike is... His father, Peter Perham is a "boatbuilder" and has been behind most of Mike's record setting attempts.  I believe Peter is using his industry contacts and his son's recent Transatlantic record to get the support that has been received. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran