Zac Sunderland; circumnavigation

Started by Zen, May 06, 2008, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnice

Quote from: chris2998 on November 12, 2008, 05:42:13 AM
I don't even understand how someone can get sponsoerd to do all this is it just because it is a record ting or what

In general, sponsorships are advertisements.
if your attempting a record of any sort, or entering some type of race, companies will donate equipment or services. In return, they get their company noticed. Since its a race or record, its a guarantee that people will be watching, and donating a piece of equipment and getting your name plastered all over the place (websites, videos, on the boat itself or whatever) is alot cheaper than buying a commercial on tv or a billboard or something like that. Plus people will see that the product works and go out and buy it for their boat.

In this case though, I think Adrift is right about Peters contacts and influence on the whole situation.

Mike's Atlantic record is actually fairly impressive, not only was he the youngest, but he did in a small centerboard trailer sailor - Link

But I think trying to take this one away from Zac by throwing horrendous amounts of money into it is pretty lame. I hope zac gets the record and keeps it until some 14/yo in a dinghy respectuflly takes it away :)

Cmdr Pete

Does it really count as a solo transatlantic if his father was shadowing him in another boat?

This will be a whole different kettle of fish. His biggest problem will probably be equiptment failure on a racing sled.

Good luck to the kid
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

dnice

oh yeah, i forgot about his father holding his hand the whole way  :-\
so yeah, not so impressive afterall...

AdriftAtSea

Zac has already proven that he can deal with equipment problems, and jury rig his way out of them. :)

I don't know if Mike is going to be as resourceful, given that his previous attempt was babysat by his father in a shadowing boat... Also, the gear on a 50' boat is harder to jury rig in some ways, since the forces on it are going to be higher than those on the smaller boat Zac has. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Marc

It seems to me through pure logic that if he had to change out sails etc. everything would be much heavier ,  is he a wrestler or a young body builder?  Zac is the real sailor in this story,  This KID has just way too much money and resources, heck, he may as well just buy a plane ticket and go around the world that way.  Zac has all my support.   Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

AdriftAtSea

Marc-

Mike isn't that big a person from the photos I've seen of him...and I think that he may be in over his head with a 50' racing machine.  His father won't be there to hold his hand every step of the way, so it will put a lot more of his success on his shoulders rather than his father's, and it'll be interesting to see how he does.  My money is still on Zac though.  Your point about the amount of resources and money that Mike and mainly Mike's father are throwing at his attempt is a valid one IMHO.

Of the recent circumnavigators, the one I hold in the highest regard is probably Donna Lange, who did her circumnavigation with little in the way of financial support or backing other than her own, with almost no fanfare or media coverage.  Just quietly and competently sailing her SC 28 around the planet. She wasn't trying to set any records AFAIK, and was really sailing around the world for herself...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

ronc98

I hope Zac pulls it off.   I was a bit put off reading Mikes site.   The boat is equiped more like the space shuttle then an ocean cruiser.    I could run my entire house on a 7K generator.   It is a huge accomplishment to sail around the world regardless of what you have for help, with that being said I admire Zacs attempt much more then Mikes.     

AdriftAtSea

I think Mike's dependence on all the high-tech gizmos and extremely complex systems that 50' boat has on it is going to come back to bite him on the backside.  Simpler is generally better IMHO. If he needs a 7KW genset, how much electronic/electrical equipment is he relying on??? Ron's probably right, most of us could run our houses on a 7KW genset, at least during the winter, when air conditioning isn't a requirement. 

Quote from: ronc98 on November 15, 2008, 10:24:54 PM
I hope Zac pulls it off.   I was a bit put off reading Mikes site.   The boat is equiped more like the space shuttle then an ocean cruiser.    I could run my entire house on a 7K generator.   It is a huge accomplishment to sail around the world regardless of what you have for help, with that being said I admire Zacs attempt much more then Mikes.     
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Marc

I left a blog telling Zac to come over here just to see how much we support him.  Though from what I could tell, he isn't too worried about Mike.  I hope his genset throws abearing or rod so that he will have to rely on celestial navigation. (lol).  Or i f something like that would happen, his father would probably fly a mechanic with the right part to fix it.  KISS is the right way to go.  Marc

Marc

Oh and I wonder if he Zac will run into Natasa Caban out there looks to me they are taking  the same route with her maybe a week or two behind him.

ronc98

Quote from: Marc on November 16, 2008, 08:47:15 AM
Oh and I wonder if he Zac will run into Natasa Caban out there looks to me they are taking  the same route with her maybe a week or two behind him.

If I was 16 that would part of my dream. ;D

Cmdr Pete

Mike had to stop in Portugal for repairs to the generator and autopilot

http://www.totallymoney.com/sailmike/

He set off again, but the latest tracks have him heading back east to Portugal

http://system.marinetrack.com/scope/view/embed/sailmike.asp
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

AdriftAtSea

heck, I wouldn't mind running into Natasza Caban myself. :)
Quote from: ronc98 on November 16, 2008, 08:57:20 AM

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

chris2998

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on November 25, 2008, 11:50:56 AM
heck, I wouldn't mind running into Natasza Caban myself. :)
Quote from: ronc98 on November 16, 2008, 08:57:20 AM

HAHA same here who the heck wouldn't mind running into her

AdriftAtSea

Might not be too high on the list for Connie and the other ladies here.. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Bubba the Pirate

I have not tried myself, but I might when I get on the water next year.   I think you would be surprised what you could get by asking. 

I'm not discounting the industry contacts, I'm sure you're right.  However, I think that with some hard phone work and leg work, sponsorship could be gotten.   Alex on the Bluesphere Project has had some.  He has also gotten some equipment that way. 

Further, if you are actually out there doing it, your chances would be way better.  I doubt that I could get the time of day from a major marine equipment company by calling to say, "Next year, I plan to do thus and such."  But if you were out there and called to say here is my website/blog, here is my sailing resume, here are articles I've had published.  I think you could get something.   At that point, a $grand or two or a piece of equipment would mean way more to you than to them.  I think/hope it can happen. 

Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Manannan

Quote from: sailorbum on November 26, 2008, 09:48:08 AM

I think you could get something.   At that point, a $grand or two or a piece of equipment would mean way more to you than to them.  I think/hope it can happen. 

Todd

May be, and why not. But do not think it will be enough for a ''sponsor'' to mention his brand name a few times, at the end you will feel like a prostitute. Sometimes it is better to pass on a nice piece of equipment and keep the freedom.
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

nowell

I kind of agree with Manannan with the whole sponsorship thing. I have a car (03 Nissan 350z) thats sponsored right now. I'll be honest, they ammount of work that goes into your sponsorships (promoting and selling their brand) is alot more than just driving a car around.

Granted boats and cars are completely different. I haven't seen my car for over a year now (aside from pictures) due to the fact that its been with different sponsors to meet show/track requirements (events).

Sometimes, I think at the end of the day, I bought the car because I loved to drive it, and I haven't been in the seat since Sept of 07.

From now on im sponsored by my own wallet!

Go Zac go!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

newt

My money is on Zac too. What is in your heart is much more important than what is in your wallet (to steal from a TV gingle)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

AdriftAtSea

I would prefer to finance my own gear....since I tend to be pretty blunt about what works and what doesn't.  If I had been given a piece of gear, I might have to be a bit more diplomatic about what I thought about it if it fails. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran