Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The original Scoot discussion...

Started by CapnK, June 21, 2008, 02:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy Jack

Hi guys,

I think that Adrift's route is about the best. I looked it up on Map Quest and iirc it was about the same. It also said that it would take me 22 1/2 hours to make the trip(1300+ miles oneway). If I average 50 MPH that would make it about 26 hours. So, pulling 7500 lbs. of boat, trailer, and other stuff would add about 3-4 hours or more. As of now, I'm figuring about $6.oo/gal. :o for gas(JEZ)!!! I hope things cool down in the middle east... for everybody sake :(.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

AdriftAtSea

One advantage of trailering a Telstar is that you can sleep in the boat if you are tired and pulled over into a rest area or truck stop.  Can also cook if you need to. :)  It's kind of like an RV when it is up on the trailer. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

polecat

Hey guys - what's been decided so far?  Is there a synopsis Pinned somewhere?
Jim

David_Old_Jersey

Not sure if you have seen the website......half a dozen folk signed up already.......

http://www.thescoot.com/

Probably help if "someone" put the link in their sig  ;D

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Pappy Jack

Hi guys,

Here is a web site that might interest some of you. It's,  www.iboattrack.com/index.html  This might be something we could use on"The Scoot". It would let the people back home know where we are(or where to find the body ::) :'( ::)).

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

AdriftAtSea

What is worrying about the iBoattrack site is they have no price specifics.  Spot Messengers might be a better idea.  $149 for the hardware, and flat rate annual fees depending on what level of service you want.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Auspicious

Are any of the boats going planning to fit an SSB? If we could relay positions by VHF to that boat (assuming everyone stays close enough) the SSB-equipped boats could send locations to me and I can post them on ShipTrak (free) or similar. I can pass weather information back.

Just a thought.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

David_Old_Jersey

8 signed up and barely a month in  8)

Methinks a chord has been struck  8). Once word gets out a bit more methinks 2010 could be interesting........

Marc

I might be adding an SSB if I can figure out how to run the antennae on my boat.  I do have the radio.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Auspicious

Quote from: Marc on July 17, 2008, 08:43:45 PM
I might be adding an SSB if I can figure out how to run the antennae on my boat.  I do have the radio.  Marc

What kind of boat Marc? Do you have a tuner?

One of the challenges of a small boat is the shorter backstay which makes the conventional backstay antenna tougher to tune at some frequencies. There are a lot of commercially available antenna you can mount on a pushpit with manual tuning for band that your auto-tuner can tweak from there.

At ham radio Field Days I have seen and done some creative things, including long-wire antenna held up by balloons and kites. I think the kite idea might have some real potential for a small boat antenna. I have certainly had great fun flying kites from my boat while underway.

I'll give that some thought and see if something useful can be rigged up with metal fishing leader.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Tim

Quote from: Auspicious on July 18, 2008, 10:38:11 AM
I'll give that some thought and see if something useful can be rigged up with metal fishing leader.

sail fast, dave

Keep an eye out for electrical activity though ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

polecat

How about using that new "Spot" device?  (page 33 west marine catalog) Then everyone would have the ability to report their position/ask for non emergency assistance/ask for emergency assistance whenever they want with the push of a button.  That company might be interested in a little advertising - be even better for them if someone actually had to ask for help.  They are about $150 & 150 for a years satalite service.
Just an Idea - I realize that everyone is on their own but we sure don't want to be part of a tragedy.  I've been in the stream in april going north in a storm wasn't any fun even on a LST.
jim

Godot

Quote from: polecat on July 18, 2008, 01:04:12 PM
How about using that new "Spot" device?  (page 33 west marine catalog) Then everyone would have the ability to report their position/ask for non emergency assistance/ask for emergency assistance whenever they want with the push of a button.  That company might be interested in a little advertising - be even better for them if someone actually had to ask for help.  They are about $150 & 150 for a years satalite service.
Just an Idea - I realize that everyone is on their own but we sure don't want to be part of a tragedy.  I've been in the stream in april going north in a storm wasn't any fun even on a LST.
jim

Advertising would be tough due to the effort that has been put into NOT having this officially organized.  I wouldn't want any corporation trying to push things anyway.  Besides, it is better for US if we DON'T have to call for help.

Regardless, I plan on using SPOT, or something similar (a lot can change in two years) to keep folks at home happy.  I will probably also have an EPIRB of some type on board, even if I have to rent it.  Again, to keep the folks at home happy. 

Everyone, though, has their own personal comfort zones.  I hope that all participants will have a plan for dealing with extreme emergencies.  Hopefully, in most cases it will include more than "to go down with the ship."  Sat phone?  Epirb? Spot?  SSB?  Positive flotation?  Towing a second full size boat? Pool noodles? Emergency escape submarine? A signed and notarized contract with Neptune?

While this is obviously not what you would call a spectator sport, it would be fun for some who can't participate to follow along.  I love the idea of SPOT.  Maybe, just maybe, some company will come up with an affordable way to send SMS messages before 2010.  That would be even cooler!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

Quote from: polecat on July 18, 2008, 01:04:12 PM
J
jim

Sounds great- you buying for all of us? ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

polecat

Nope can't afford it - guess I'll have to suggest a "notarized contract with Neptune".
I'll be quiet now
jim

CapnK

Regarding SSB antennas: I've spoken with folks who have 'rope antennas', and aside from being affordable, stowable, and keeping you from having to carve up your backstay, they work really well. Here's a link to a site which sells them, but please note that you can also make your own:

http://www.ropeantenna.com/

The SPOT device looks like an excellent and affordable solution to folks who would want to 'phone home', in my opinion. Thanks for pointing that one out, Jim - Grog! :) (And Thanks for Serving our Nation, too! Grog for that also.)

Gadgetwise, I'll have a VHF, and maybe one of those SeaMe radar thingies. I'll be glad to talk to anyone who sails within hailing distance, or, barring that, we can always chat later, once in the Bahamas. ;)

If for some reason "Katie" and I should disappear Out There, well, you could say I went 'smiling, with my boots on', doing exactly what I wanted to do... 8) But I'm planning on helping the rest of y'all decimate some Kalik wherever we wind up... ;D

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Lynx

Rest a SAT Phone for a month. Text option works well and is cheep.
MacGregor 26M

Auspicious

S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Pappy Jack

I know that WE are responsible for our own safety and vessel and all that good stuff but I would like to offer, at this time, a link to the San Francisco Singlehanded Sailing Society's safety requirements list   http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/documents/2208_monohull_check_list.pdf    just as a GUIDE LINE for our little soire'e. I for one will be using it to help get my boat ready ::). Needless to say I'm getting VERY acquainted with the West Marine catalog

Fair winds and full sails,

Pappy Jack