News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Theft

Started by Zen, May 13, 2006, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortis

So you are sdaying that a heavy-duty bicycle cable-lock between the folded together amas is all you need for ultimate peace of mind? Wat about when you are on the hook, off a strange exotic beach and decided to get off the boat for a oucple of days? You can't anchor with the boat in "preying mantis" configuration, can you?

Really must get around to playing with a couple of trimarans in the coming year...never had the pleasure, to date.
(with the exception of having drinks on board a huge plywood tri that weighed more then my boat by several orders of magnitude and would only "fold" if washed onto a reef.)

Alex.

CharlieJ

Be very VERY careful messing with multi hulls. They can be extremely addictive.

I lived aboard a Cross 35 for several years. Most comfortable boat I've ever been aboard in an anchorage. I used to sit in the cockpit when it was rolly, and watch monohulls roll rail to rail and hunt all over on the rodes. While we just sat there quite snugly with the bridle out to the ama bows..

If I could FIND a cruising tri that was well built and I could AFFORD I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Once you've experienced a GOOD multi, nothing else even comes close anymore.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Alex-

Actually, my amas don't fold the way they do on a Farrier design, so the amas are still in the proper orientation, and yes, I could anchor out that way pretty easily.  I keep the boat docked folded up, and the amas don't have the hull-deck join in the water the way the Farrier folding design does.  :D

I'd probably have to have a padlock in the ama hinges, but it would prevent someone from sailing the boat away. 

This summer, the only sailboat that actually managed to catch mine was a larger F31 Corsair.  :D  We regularly dust 40'+ sailboats without trying.  Lots of fun.  Also, when a lot of the other boats are getting the snot beaten out of them, we're just starting to have fun. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

David_Old_Jersey

I guess I am a bit lax about security in Jersey, at the moment the Avon is tied to a pontoon with no padlock, the boat is unlocked with the keys onboard. And I am not insured for anything..........(not a big one for insurance of any kind).

The good news is that I am in a drying mud (very!) berth, and "Perro" does not look the sort of boat that would be attractive. Famous last words  ::) but those unpaid premiums will pay for a bit of kit if push comes to shove...........

We do have thefts from boats here, seems to go in spates - and I should really chain up that dinghy  :o

When abroad, I do lock the boat though  ;D

Lynx

Florida has the most boat thefts. When you go through the marinas, there is many keys left in. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What a way to sell a boat.

If somebody wants their boat stolen, it is easy, leave the keys in it. To pervent your theft, just dock yours next to theirs, or check out the marina before docking and see who wants their boat stolen and do not dock in that marina.

I have lived in Fl to long, need to go cruising. Ahhh Nov.
MacGregor 26M

Bubba the Pirate

I like the motion sensor/alarm idea.   Check out this from www.thinkgeek.com.   

A battery operated laser trip wire!!

I've always thought these were cool but didn't know where to plant them.   The rocking of the boat may screw up the aim, but it would be work a try.   

product link:  http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/78df/

Thanks for the ideas. 

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AdriftAtSea

One thing that I'd point out before going crazy about worrying about theft.  The target of most theft is generally larger powerboats... especially if they are after stealing the entire boat... and if they're looking to break in to just steal stuff... they usually will target the larger boats, rather than the smaller boats... larger boats tend to have more "marketable" stuff to steal than smaller boats, who generally have a less expensive set of gear aboard..
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Auspicious

Swing by my boat to say hey on your way ashore to party. I go to bed early and sleep lightly.

Got to be lots of folk out there like me.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Cmdr Pete

Anybody use a locking storage box on their boat?

My boat is pretty easy to break into. This way the boat wont get too damaged in the process. But, I wouldn't want the hoodlums to make off with all my gear.

I keep the expensive stuff in one of these cases, and cable lock it to the interior of the boat.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=331588

Problem is, they could probably pry open the sides of the box unless I used 3 padlocks. It's a bit big too.

Any other suggestions? A Pelican case would be overkill moneywise.

For years I never locked the boat at all. Never had a problem, although I could see some kids partied on the boat once or twice.

I'm just trying to make it difficult for some local punks to clean me out.
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Lynx

Don't wash the boat. Bow into the dock. Try to keep the boat as far away from the dock as you can.

Some people try to attract theives by leaving the keys in the boat. Take pictures and report. Per my understanding some of these boats are trying to be sold and are not. So the owners are looking at other ways to get out of the boat.
MacGregor 26M

Gerald A. Gotts

Perhaps like a friend of mine who used to keep a photo of himself with his pet Cobra very visible from the cockpit.  He would then have a recording of Hissing coming from under a bunk or somewhere.

you may have guessed that He doesn't have a snake and faked the photo.  In fact He hates snakes.  Maybe it works, He had someone once try to break the lock on the companionway but stopped short of actually getting in.  HISSSSSSSSS
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

newt

What about a Jack Russell terrier with an attitude? Or if you have a larger boat, I just love Pit bulls... Dogs have worked for me wherever I have lived. And they are great friends if your going it alone. ;)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

theblackspot

the best way is to get rid of the thieves. in Belize city i left lots of gear on deck, sent the dingy ashore without me and waited in the dark. the thief didn't like the bear spray or the police. unfortunately they let him go, but all the thefts stopped for months. the police figured he was a one man crime spree. it usually is. teach them a lesson they wont soon forget.

bill diller
the Black Spot
pearson 26