product test review- Rustoleum Spar varnish

Started by CharlieJ, June 26, 2008, 04:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Beginning to fail after three weeks exposure to the Texas sun. Doesn't flow well, doesn't cover well and certainly doesn't hold up well.

I continue to recommend Z-Spar 2015
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I've heard good things about Behr Spar Varnish. Apparently, Behr bought out some varnish company that made a decent varnish from what I heard.  It's supposed to be good stuff.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

;D
YOU test that-

Too much work to prep, then varnish, to have it start to go away in three weeks.

We've had excellent results from 2015 ( Flagship) We'll keep using that from now on.

The reason we used the Rustoleum in the first place was we figured this boat would be stored indoors, so the varnish wasn't as critical, plus Laura could get a good discount on it. Turns out to have not been a good move. After the 4th it'll go back into the boat shed so from then on it'll only be exposed when we sail it. NEXT tm e we revarnsih though, it WILL be with 2015
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Charlie-

Others have tested it and found it quite good.. :) I don't have any exterior wood work other than the tiller on my trimaran...since I prefer sailing to varnishing. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

QuoteBeginning to fail after three weeks exposure to the Texas sun. Doesn't flow well, doesn't cover well and certainly doesn't hold up well.

Man that must be painful.... sorry that happened to you.

FWIW, I am an Epifanes user, have great luck with it... or maybe I should say Rose does.  ;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.