News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Prepping my Seafarer 24

Started by Godot, July 21, 2008, 11:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

We had our working jib made with reef points. It's built from 6.5 oz Contender super cruise cloth, triple stitched, and reefs to storm jib size.

Very happy with reefing jibs. Had one on my tri that was quite successful

Our main is also the same cloth, also triple stitched and has three reef points in it. I hope I never need the third one :D

I agree on needing light air sails. I've found many many more days of very light winds, particularly along the southern part of the east coast, than I have heavy air. Or at least heavy enough to need storm sails.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Godot

Sailing the Chesapeake, light air sails would be a bonus.  But I've gotten along ok without.  I usually don't sail much during the middle of summer which is when the light air is most obnoxious.

The reason heavy weather sails are higher on my list is that while I'm less likely to need them, if I DO need them it is because things have gotten bad.  The Scoot will not allow me to go run into some safe harbor to hide if the weather turns nasty.

Light air probably wouldn't kill me, unless I died of boredom.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

Very true... :)
QuoteLight air probably wouldn't kill me, unless I died of boredom.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

I like to keep sails simple and think along Charlie's lines. The electra has a new 6oz main with 2 deeper than normal reef points, working jib with a deep reef point and a light weight 150.While not the 'perfect' set up...it offers lots of combos for varied conditions with only 3 sails.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v godot on July 22, 2008, 06:57:13 AM

The reason heavy weather sails are higher on my list is that while I'm less likely to need them, if I DO need them it is because things have gotten bad.  The Scoot will not allow me to go run into some safe harbor to hide if the weather turns nasty.

Adam, how bad is "bad weather"?  At what point are you planning to need a storm jib?

It's not that I disagree with your reasoning here, I just want to add that The Scoot is "only" about a week or so under way.  The wx forecast for that period SHOULD allow (hehe, I know, I know) you to avoid a so-called "storm."

My point is that I think it may actually be less likely you would need a storm jib on THIS particular trip than light air sails.  The percentage of gales along the Scoot route is actually quite low; any really bad stuff is more likely to be from some kind of organized system that you (and the forecasters) can see coming, at least a few days out.  Further, a one week window is "fairly" tight  - IF you trust the offshore forecasts and your own ability to read wx charts and other weather info.

Statistically, we only run about a 3% chance of hitting storm conditions as sea while crossing an ocean; I'm sure the chance on The Scoot is much smaller.

Light air probably wouldn't kill me, unless I died of boredom.

At sea in the swell with no way-on, under canvassed is among THE WORST to me.  True, the light air itself won't kill us, but "slat, boom, BANG," as well as just not moving anywhere have tremendous psychological impacts.  I have not experienced this for any great length of time (only a few hours), and it was enough to convince me that Light Air presents a very real problem that has to be solved.

Can't sleep, the boat feels dead - just wallowing - and morale can sink fast.  I can see why folks fire up the iron jib in that circumstance.  To be moving at ALL is relief in a sense.  I can but imagine what it would be like for days at a time, and I shudder.

Ultimately, and not on the list for Scoot preps, I hope to have a nylon main as well as a nylon drifter (or simply large genny).  It's my long term goal to have the ability to capture even the faintest hint of moving air - even 0.5 kt is SOMETHING, but with true light air sails, I hope to better that in anything but a clock-calm.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Lynx

When I was in the Bahamas and moving North on the ICW the fronts was comming through every week. I do not know what "Storm conditions" is meant by but you will more than likely have to weather a front before the end of the Scoot with no place to duck into unless heading south via Fl.
MacGregor 26M

Auspicious

Snipped again for efficiency.

Quote from: s/v godot on July 21, 2008, 07:22:27 PM
I think I may build a cradle for it in the cockpit locker to store it for the trip. 

Speaking of jibs, perhaps Auspicious is right and I don't need the genoa.

I have the space to install a couple of manual pumps

But, there are options out there like the NASA/Sitex AIS RADAR which are pretty energy efficient. 

I'm trying to decide if I want to put a tricolor/anchor light on top the mast, or if I'm happy with deck mounted nav lights. 

Spreader lights. 

I really like the seatbelt method of keeping the lockers closed. 

I have in my head the beginning plans of a hard dodger that might not look horrible on my boat. 

so fuel type and availability is not important to me. 

I think the outboard cradle idea is a good one. Grog for that. Think about getting it on the mount at sea if you do need it (hint: topping lift through block at end of boom or such to avoid dropping it in the drink).

I stand by my comment on the headsails. Offshore in light air with swell running you end up with the wind falling out of the sail a lot. If you are off the wind a spinnaker or gennaker is a good investment.

On the other hand, consider putting reef points in your hank-on jib. It is less work (less time) on the foredeck to reef the jib than to change it. Also less money and less storage space (leaving room for that spinnaker you probably will be happy to have).

Get the third reef in the main. I've used mine twice and been thrilled to have it both times.

You can probably only use one manual pump at a time, so get *one*.

I forgot about the NASA AIS unit. Good idea.

Definitely get a masthead tricolor. Aside from the power benefit, it gets your lights up out of the swells where you might actually be seen.

I like the idea of hasps. I have padlocks on mine in the marina and use small stainless carabiners when sailing. I don't want to be hunting for a key offshore.

However you do it, you'll be glad of a dodger.

Most 10# propane bottles fit nicely in stainless steel fender brackets on the rail. It doesn't take much to rig it to feed both a BBQ and a small gimbal stove. The 1# bottles are really expensive, even at home, and it doesn't take long to pay for the adapters and hose to make it all work out. YMMV.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Lynx on July 22, 2008, 10:14:44 AM
When I was in the Bahamas and moving North on the ICW the fronts was comming through every week. I do not know what "Storm conditions" is meant by but you will more than likely have to weather a front before the end of the Scoot with no place to duck into unless heading south via Fl.

I cannot speak for others, but "storm" to me means something very specific: Beaufort Force 10.  That's sustained winds 48-55 knots.  This is not the same thing as a passing front, or even high winds from a short lived squall.

However, that's not to say that those are conditions that need to be reached before one actually flies a so-called 'storm' jib.   ;) 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Instead of the 10# propane tanks, I picked up two 16# composite propane tanks.  :)  They let you see how much propane is actually in the tank as the sides are translucent.  :) I'm in the process of designing a locker of some sort for them at the moment. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

nmwarren

Those Plastimo bilge pumps are nice because you don't have to worry about losing or storing the handle.  I think they are cheapest here:
http://www.marisafe.com/Store/viewItem.asp?ID=451011375&CID=45100000&FLT=451011375

Marisafe also has good deals on other equipment.  I got the 20' jacklines and they are a good length for boats in the 23-25' range:
http://www.marisafe.com/store/viewItem.asp?ID=353510790&CID=35350000

Godot

Regarding the storm sail:  I'm not sure when I will need it.  I haven't explored that part of my boats performance envelope yet.  My guess is it could go up by around 35 knots.  I don't know for certain.  The last time I sailed in wind that heavy I had way too much sail up and no real easy way to reduce it outside of taking sail off.  Since then I've added a second reef point to the main; but I haven't had a chance to use it.  I don't yet know how to balance things out.  I will be sailing for a couple of weeks this September and/or October.  Perhaps I'll be able to test things out a bit more. 

I don't trust weather reports.  At all.  I've been out in clear, pleasant weather when the radio was claiming I was in the midst of a severe thunderstorm.  And I've been rail down and white knuckled when NOAA was reporting calm.  If they can't even figure out what is happening RIGHT NOW, how can I expect them to predict the weather a week out?

I probably wouldn't do a spinnaker.  I've never flown one, and I don't really understand how best to use them.  I am well aware, however, of the dreaded Spinnaker Wrap.  It isn't worth it to me.  Besides, I'll probably be against the wind most of the way to Bahamas, and shouldn't have to worry too much about down wind sailing until the return.

I'll keep an eye on Bacon's and see if they come up with a suitable 135% or so Genoa for a good price.  I hear drifters are fairly easy to use downwind sails.  I've never seen one, though.

I'm not going to hook up a full propane system.  It just doesn't make sense at this point.  I'm not cruising long term, just for a few weeks.  1# propane cannisters will work just fine for this trip.  Who knows what the future will bring?  If I take off long term (and assuming I keep the Seafarer) I may consider putting in a bigger. better system.  In the meantime, KISS.

The reason I was planning on a pump in the cockpit and one in the cabin is for flexibility, not because I expected to use them both at the same time.  Plus, should one stop working I will have a backup unit.  Maybe only a cockpit pump should be on the mandatory list, while the cabin pump would be on the optional list.  I will think on that some.

Ok.  You've all convinced me.  Even if it is ugly and I have to throw it away after the event, I'll try and put up some kind of dodger.  I have some ideas for a hard dodger (I feel comfortable working wood, not so much tube and fabric).
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Pappy Jack

Adam,

I'm with you on the spinnaker. One came with my boat and I have never used it. I was on several boats that were using one and it seemed best to have more than one pearson on board to handle it. For the down wind sail back to Beaufort, I'll just use a genoa.

As for a storm jib, one did come with the boat and as the old saying goes,"if you have one, you won't need it ::)" so I'll be taking mine along.

I have two reef points in my main and will be putting a third row in. It should be cheaper than a trisail and easier to reef.

As for cooking, I'm making a hanging(swinging) stove out of a Coleman camp stove and a 6" aluminum pipe. I'll try to post a picture of it later when I get it finished. One gal. of gas equals about 4-5# of propane so it should be cheaper.

Other up grades will be new standing rigging and some, if not all, running rigging. Reinforcing(a layer or two of fiberglass) the inside of the v-berth. Making sure the v-berth is water tight(gaskets for the lids etc.) Just things that will help stem the flow of water if I hit something. James Baldwin has a lot of good advice on his web site www./atomvoyages.com and he should know a thing or two about fitting out a boat ;D.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

David_Old_Jersey

Quote from: s/v godot on July 21, 2008, 07:22:27 PM
Or, maybe even the Origo 1500 (Defender: $219.99) with Gimbal kit (Defender: $74.99) for a rather larger amount of outlay.  At this time I am not ready to take Godot around the world, or even into the deep Caribbean for extended periods, so fuel type and availability is not important to me.  I can easily carry enough for a couple of months.

I have an Origo onboard that came with the boat (In this part of the world it is a common replacement for a gas (propane?) installation that has rusted out or is no longer gas safety compliant for insurance purposes). I am quite happy with it. Seems to be built well (must be at least 5 years old and whilst not looking new - I would not be in the least surprised at another 5 years or so - certainly not the same as many gas hob installations I have seen / had that seem to rust before yer eyes!) and also simple to use. Always a plus with me that one! Having said that I am not spending extended time onboard or cooking for more than 1. and simple grub at that!

For short term use I have no plans to change, albeit mine is a double hob - but long term voyaging I would want something that consumes a bit less fuel / does so in a manner that does not require quite so much filling up.

Lynx

Note - fronts moving through will produce sustained winds 30 to 40 and seas 12 to 16 Plus rogue for 8+ hrs.

What a ride!
MacGregor 26M

Godot

Quote from: nmwarren on July 22, 2008, 01:00:00 PM
Those Plastimo bilge pumps are nice because you don't have to worry about losing or storing the handle.  I think they are cheapest here:
http://www.marisafe.com/Store/viewItem.asp?ID=451011375&CID=45100000&FLT=451011375

Marisafe also has good deals on other equipment.  I got the 20' jacklines and they are a good length for boats in the 23-25' range:
http://www.marisafe.com/store/viewItem.asp?ID=353510790&CID=35350000

Very good prices.  But Google flagged the site as an Attack Site!
http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=http://www.marisafe.com/membership/default.asp
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Frank

I have a question...if it's blowing THAT hard where a reefed jib would be overpowered...I'm thinking that a drogue for about $150 might be money better spent than a storm jib? Any thoughts????
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Godot

Quote from: Frank on July 22, 2008, 05:30:43 PM
I have a question...if it's blowing THAT hard where a reefed jib would be overpowered...I'm thinking that a drogue for about $150 might be money better spent than a storm jib? Any thoughts????

I'm assuming that a reefed jib is about equivalent to a storm jib.  For a trip like this I think I'd do one or the other.

I think a progression of steps would be used to deal with deteriorating weather.  Depending on the boat, it might go something like ...

Remove Genoa and fly working jib
Reef Main to first point
Reef Main to second point
Remove working jib and fly storm jib
Deep reef main or fly storm trisail
Heave to under whatever sail is appropriate
Drop sail and stream the drogue

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Pappy Jack

A good DVD on the subject is" Storm Tactics" by Lin and Larry Pardey. I have it and have looked at it about three times so far and God only knows how many times before The Scoot starts ;D. They discus the use of para-anchors, heaving to, and much more.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

AdriftAtSea

A reefed roller furling jib is not the same as a storm jib.  A reefed hank on jib might be equivalent.  The main difference is shape.  A reefed RF jib is going to have a baggy shape, which a storm jib won't.

BTW, I wouldn't get the jacklines there...since most recommendations for jacklines suggest a minimum breaking strength at 6,000 lbs. :) The ones at the site you mention have a BL of 4,400 lbs.

Quote from: s/v godot on July 22, 2008, 05:43:57 PM
Quote from: Frank on July 22, 2008, 05:30:43 PM

I'm assuming that a reefed jib is about equivalent to a storm jib.  For a trip like this I think I'd do one or the other.

I think a progression of steps would be used to deal with deteriorating weather.  Depending on the boat, it might go something like ...

Remove Genoa and fly working jib
Reef Main to first point
Reef Main to second point
Remove working jib and fly storm jib
Deep reef main or fly storm trisail
Heave to under whatever sail is appropriate
Drop sail and stream the drogue

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Auspicious

My name is Dave and I am a spinnaker ho.

"Hi Dave"

Adam, if you want to slide over to Annapolis and get some spinnaker time I'd be happy to take you sailing with me. Like so many things, the difficulty is overblown and the benefits under-recognized.

Offer is open to others as well.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.