simple and cheap cabin storage - a mesh shower caddy

Started by OptiMystic, July 24, 2008, 11:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OptiMystic

This may be a well know one, but I just picked up a couple of mesh shower caddies (they were 2 for $5 at Walgreen's  ;D ) to attach to my cabin walls. They are about 2' "tall" and a little over 1' wide. They come with a vinyl coated wire hanger that is intended to go over the pipe behind the shower head and has two small hooks (one at each end) that hold the mesh caddy as it has grommets in the upper corners. Each caddy has 6 pockets - 3 rows of 2. Each pocket would hold something about the size of a small coffee can. In the picture they show things like a bottle of shampoo and a bottle of conditioner in one pocket. The kind of stuff I am thinking about are things like TP, small first aid kit, hand held electronics and - believe it or not- clothes. Most of what I take sailing in warm weather is small - shorts, T shirts, underwear, shoes, etc. Separating the common stuff out into see through pockets would work well - not dragging the duffel out of a locker and digging through it for stuff on a regular basis. The duffel would still be there with the foul weather gear and other less often used stuff. Anyway, just thought I would share the idea and location of the really low priced ones.

EDIT - Oh yeah, I intend to attach mine using the included hanger. I have a strip of trim that runs around the top of the cabin wall that I can attach it to. I don't like the idea of hooks as hangers in the cabin from the safety perspective, but these are vinyl coated and very short, plus they will be up in corners. then it will be easy to take the caddies off for cleaning or to pack in ( they should roll/fold up okay with some items in them).
-Andy

Disclaimer: I am not an experienced blue water sailor. My boat is not a blue water cruiser. So most of my knowledge is from research, discussion or sailing near shore and inshore. "Grain of salt" applies...