News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Added a cockpit drain

Started by OptiMystic, August 02, 2008, 07:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OptiMystic

I was a little concerned about only having one drain and it was in the front, through the keel trunk. That made water accumulate in the back when it was on the trailer. Anyway, a friend gave me an old broken fiberglass mast. I cut a 8.5" section at a point where it was about 2" in diameter, cut the holes and epoxied it in.

Yeah, it sill need clean up. I want to give it plenty of time to cure before I grind/sand the excess away.

-Andy

Disclaimer: I am not an experienced blue water sailor. My boat is not a blue water cruiser. So most of my knowledge is from research, discussion or sailing near shore and inshore. "Grain of salt" applies...

AdriftAtSea

Don't forget to paint or gelcoat it.  Epoxy doesn't do well with UV exposure.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Also I'd advise you to sand it soon. Epoxy gets harder and harder as it cures- best to at least get the rough sanding done before it turns to steel. The final sanding can wait a bit- it's usually just a finish job anyway, but get rid of any lumps and drips and roughly smooth the area asap.

Advice from a professional wood/epoxy boatbuilder ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

OptiMystic

Yeah, I plan to grind/sand today to get the bulk and then either add another smoothing coat or just paint if I get it smoothed out where I am happy with it. I think I erred on the side of caution where there were gaps and went a little heavy with the glass and pox. I am not very worried about it someing loose or leaking though.  ;D
-Andy

Disclaimer: I am not an experienced blue water sailor. My boat is not a blue water cruiser. So most of my knowledge is from research, discussion or sailing near shore and inshore. "Grain of salt" applies...

OptiMystic

Most of the bulk is gone now and I had to add alittle more right at the floor to tube join; I went a little too deep trying to ensure it was the low point.

-Andy