Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cold water coffee making

Started by CapnK, January 25, 2008, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oded kishony

Hey John,

> Haha....I've used this style without the paper filter while camping.  Got the idea from my Dad (not a coffee drinker), who probably had a good laugh after the first time I tried it.<

You could have filtered it through a sock, I understand it adds a certain 'je ne sais qua'
(pardon my french  ;D

Oded

CharlieJ

Cowboy coffee. That's how we made it all the time when doing black powder rendezvous ;D

Since the french press doesn't have heat under it, the coffee cools, but doesn't get that "burnt" taste. I sometimes pour my first cup from  left overs in a late pot first thing in the morning and nuke it. Wouldn't DREAM of doing that with coffee from an old pot from a Mr Coffee!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

Cold water Coffee Making ??????!!!!!!!

YUK!  That's the most disgusting thing I ever heard of.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

DonĀ“t you Americans have any sort of culture?  ::)

Lashes to all... since CapnK started this thread I reckon I am the one who will end up at the pole being lashed though  ;)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

CapnK

Quote from: Manannan on April 24, 2008, 03:06:12 PM
Hey guys, com'on, don't think about drinking coffee in the morning, it will keep you awake until noon !  ;)

...which gracefully sets you up for a wee afternoon nap, when you crash from the morning coffee buzz... ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

Re: "Cowboy Coffee" - I was taught to put in a dollop of cool/cold water after brewing, which makes the grounds settle. It works mostly, so long as you pour slow... :)

maxi - It's only cold fer the 'brewing', remember - it gets hotted up for the drinking part of the process. At least, that's how I do it. I know some people like iced coffee, but that seems some sort of unnatural to me... ;D

Unless it's a coffee-flavored liqueur like Kahlua, that's another story...  :P
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CapnK on April 25, 2008, 08:37:31 AM

I know some people like iced coffee, but that seems some sort of unnatural to me... ;D

My Mom likes Ice Coffee...something I could never develop a taste for.

However, a few weeks ago I had one of those Ice Coffee things from Sonic and it was pretty good.  Basically, it is hot coffee over ice bits (think snow cone).  I thought it was something else when I bought it, but it was pretty good.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Leroy - Gulf 29

Quote from: CharlieJ on April 24, 2008, 10:43:16 PM
Cowboy coffee. That's how we made it all the time when doing black powder rendezvous ;D

We always called that "Sheepherder Coffee", but I'm from Montana.  I know, I know - baaaaad  ;D  ;D

Kailyst

Haven't been online for a LONG time, but thought I would add to this thread, since I drink "Cold-Brewed" coffee all the time.

Here's a link for the cold-brew maker.

http://www.toddyoutlet.com/

This makes a concentrate that doesn't need refrigeration - at least in MY house, since it doesn't LAST a long time here!!  ::)

K ~~/)~~

We're all here because we're not all there.