Change both Batteries or just 1 and wait?

Started by Lynx, September 02, 2008, 11:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

One of my batteries died after 2 1/2 years of use. The other is still holding a charge.

Most say to change both at the same time others say as long as you are not using them together it is OK.

Should I change both?

Should I watt until the other one dies to change it?

Thanks, Have time to kill for a while.
James
MacGregor 26M

s/v Faith

It depends on how they are used.

If you have 2 12v batteries that you use in parallel then you need to change them both.*  If you have a separate house and starting battery you need only change one.

If you use 2 6v batteries in series then you can change 1, but might want to just change both.

*Batteries have an internal resistance that increases with age.  If 2 batteries that are of different types or ages are placed in parallel the newer will slowly discharge into the older over time.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Karletto

use a multimeter to check the voltage on the good one. in my opinion a battery that was drained to the maximum has to be dumped because it will drain much, much faster after charging. ok, few more chargings won't hurt. i read that when cells come together the battery is drained to the maximum/ can be dumped. the level of the acid has to be 5mm - 1cm above the cell.

change 1 battery only

newt

I've done the cheap thing and changed one on my boat. Just ruined a good battery in a couple months time- changem both would be my vote.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...