News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

stanchion height

Started by Publius, March 16, 2009, 08:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publius

im going to be replacing the stanchion and life rails for Reprisal, what is a good height?  the previous ones came up to about mid thy (im 5'8)  I thought that was a bit too short, especially if i have friends (taller) on board.    was i wrong?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

Publius

quick correction I am 5'8    not 5 ft haha
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

CharlieJ

For real safety a stanchion should be around 30 inches tall, with double life lines.

Practically speaking you aren't gonna find a small sailboat with them that tall- they "look funny".

Ours on Tehani are taller than most, but still really too low. MOST on small sailboats are really "trip wires" and many boats would really be safer without them.

So put on what you think is right, then when you really NEED a safety line, rig extra lines from aft, around the shrouds at about waist level, and up to the bow.

Or rig jack lines and wear a tether.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Amgine

*Bulwarks* should be 30" min, lifelines chest high... but stantions need to be aesthetically pleasing for most sailors.

Be aware that however tall your stanchion is, that is how long the lever arm being used by some helpful person to create a leak in your deck. I mean, help you moor to the dock. 50 pounds of force on 30 inch lever means 120 foot pounds on, what? 3 or 4 machine screws with acorn nuts? (In other words, be very generous with your stanchion bases, using backing plates, sizeable bolts, strengthened and sealed holes through the deck, and lots of good sealant.)

Publius

okay thanks, 30 seems much better

i realized the old ones were exactly that, trip lines, and im short so imagine a taller person walking the more narrow parts of the deck.

I was actually thinking 36 inches,  is this too much?  It would look a bit off, but I plan to cruise long distance and really looks are important but come second.

I heard the old salty thing to do was not have any "life" lines, as usually they do just act as trippers.  What say you guys to that?

Are there alternatives? Perhaps lines that run on the interior of the deck from the cabin roof, for holding while in motion aft and forward?

CharlieJ

As I said at the end of my post- Jacklines, harnesses and tethers.

When Laura and I are offshore we are never without the tethers. I have a hard point in the cockpit where we can clip on before we exit the cabin. From there we can go below and sleep on the sea berth, go to the mast or work in the cockpit tethered. We only have to change to go to the bow.
For serious offshore work, a jackline is set up from the bow cleats back abaft the cockpit. Then we can clip on before leaving the cockpit and be attached anywhere on the deck.

Oh, and I am currently replacing our lifelines from the coated wires to bare 3/16 7 x 19. Upper and lower will be the same..
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

36" is probably too high.  Think about all the leverage a 36" stanchion has against the bolts in the base.  With 36" stanchions you're far more likely to tear the stanchion free rather than have it resist you falling overboard.

I don't rely on lifelines to keep me aboard... IMHO, they're more just a reminder of the fact that you should watch your step.  I do depend on harnesses, tethers and jacklines to keep me aboard.  
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

boatyardpirates

You have to remember that they do almost nothing to keep you on the boat.  If you fall from the high side while over 25-30 degrees you will completely miss them.  24" is standard and just above the knee is high enough.  Learn to safely more around your boat and if its bad crawl.  Good luck.  Ali

Publius

what about no life lines then? or stanchions.  just a smooth crisp edge with no obstructions.  there will be the stays to hold onto ...  i could have an inboard life line system attatched to the cabin for holding while moving, or tethering/harnessing too

AdriftAtSea

A lot of people I know go that route.  However, if you want to participate in many of the races, lifelines are REQUIRED.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Publius

ugh, and inboard lifelines dont count?  only on the toe rail?

AdriftAtSea

Not for racing regulations. :)  Got to be toerail mounted.
Quote from: Publius on March 19, 2009, 08:20:32 PM
ugh, and inboard lifelines dont count?  only on the toe rail?
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Publius

Alright, well I could always add stanchions later (though I will be filling the old stanchion holes soon)

Thanks for the info again Adrift!

Allan

In Australia commercial boats are required to have lifelines at 900mm (35 1/2 ") but on a lot of private  yachts they are only 700mm (271/2")
Better off with them than without

Allan
Macgregor 26X "MacSea"
Tingoora, Queensland, Australia

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Allan on March 20, 2009, 05:06:41 AM
I
Better off with them than without

Allan

I agree here.

Ever been on the sidedeck/foredeck of a boat in 30+ knots with NO lifelines?  I have, and it can be a creepy feeling.

In rock and mountain climbing, we called the psychological component of how 'safe' you 'feel' on a route "Exposure."  It had little to do with how likely a fall was, how steep the route was, etc.  If you FELT like you were exposed, you were...and that feeling could effect your climbing.

Just seeing a piece of wire, and the stanchions themselves, between you and a fall - even if you know they REALLY won't stop you anyway - can FEEL much safer.  This feeling may (or may not, I don't know you personally) be the difference between you going forward to work and not.

In my mind, too many people put an over reliance on staying in the cockpit of the boat - lines led aft, over reliance on roller furling, anchoring techniques, etc.  If you sail enough, no matter what preps you make to prevent it, there will come a time when you NEED to go forward for the safety of the boat.

The more cards you stack into the deck to make that less scary, to me anyway, the better.  Lifelines can provide a momentary handhold while you adjust your tether, for example.  They provide a convenient place to lash a coiled line to hold it out of the way while you fix something, etc, etc.

As always, it's your boat - your choice.  But having sailed a boat for nearly ten years that had no lifelines from cockpit coaming to bow pulpit, I much prefer the 'feeling' that they are there.

And like Charlie, I'm replacing my lines with uncoated 3/16".  I've got the wire and all the bits (including tubing for new stanchions), I just have to get some minor machining done to the stanchion caps before installation.

Fair Winds...

JR
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

IMHO,

They are useful for the 'exposure' factor John cited, as well as providing a reference point.  When I go fwd on Faith, I am fortunate to have adequite side decks.  I generally stand in easy wx, but get as low as I can when it is rough.  One our long long night at anchor off of Little San Salvadore, I had to go fwd with waves breaking over the bow.  The ability to have one hand on the cabin toprails and the other on the life lines allowed me to know when I was being pushed from the boat by the torrent of water.... a very useful but of information.

It is kind of like using a walker for some kind of re-hab.  It is not there to hold you up as much as it is a reference point to know exactly where the deck is so you can keep your footing.  While I like the cable, in theroy small line would work as well for the primary purpose... I would not give up the cable though.  ;D

FWIW, I seem to remember 27" as the height when I measured it.  I will try to check it soon though.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Polunu

In my experience, lifelines keep the headsail from going into the water  when it's lower,
something to put a hand on going forward to keep your balance, remember through bolts and big backing plates to keep your butt on board when the time comes that you need them for what they really are intended to do.
make them 30" tall
The world may not be fair, but life is what you make of it. ;D