Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

John Vigor's new blog...

Started by Bill NH, October 30, 2008, 08:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill NH

From John Vigor's new blog, at http://www.johnvigor.com/Blog.html

THOSE WHO participate in it regularly know that sailing is wonderful, even better than sex. If you're not a sailor, you might find that hard to believe, but it's true. Here's the proof:

• You never have to hide your Sailing magazines.

• It's perfectly acceptable to Sail with a professional.

• There's nothing in the Ten Commandments that discourages Sailing.

• When your partner videotapes you Sailing, you don't have to worry that it will show up on the Internet.

• Your Sailing partner won't quiz you about people you Sailed with before you were married. Or after.

• It's quite OK to Sail with a perfect stranger.

• When you meet a really good Sailor in a bar, you needn't feel guilty about imagining the two of you Sailing together.

• There's no danger whatsoever that if you Sail by yourself you'll grow hair on your palms or go blind.

• You can have a Sailing calendar at work without precipitating a sexual harassment suit.

• There are no known Sailing-transmitted diseases.

• When your Sailing partner insists you bring protection, any old anorak will do.

• Nobody expects you to Sail with one partner for the rest of your life.

• You never have to wonder next morning if your Sailing partner still loves you after a one-night Sail.

• Nobody slaps your face if you ask: "Do you Sail?"

• Your Sailing partner will never say, "Not again! We just Sailed last week, for goodness' sake! Is that all you ever think about?"

I enjoy John's writing and am looking forward to his venture into blogging!   :)

125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

He is wrong on one count... Sailing itself is infectious... :) I know a lot of people that have gone out for one day sail and caught the sailing bug... there is no known cure for the sailing bug... treatment for the sailing bug is often expensive and time consuming. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

jotruk

I'm also going to disagree with him, My wife calls my boat my mistress and says that I spend as much time with it as i do with her. Seems she might be jealous?
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

oded kishony

...and what about coveting your neighbors thingies??? No sailor has ever coveted his neighbors boat??? Isn't coveting included in one of the apx 10 commandments?  :D

Oded

CharlieJ

;D ;D

MY wife spends more time on the boat than I do. She INSISTS we spend at least one, and often two nights aboard each week, depending on our schedule. And if I have to be out of town, I can bet she'll stay aboard the night I'm gone.

We were aboard last night in fact- her idea..
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pappy Jack

Dan is right. Sailing is an infection but you don't even have to go sailing to catch it. In my case I was crossing the intersection of Water St. and Winnebago in my home town in N.E. Iowa when I was infected. Just that quick. Where it came from I have no idea but infected I was, and am to this day. Anyway, on the corner of this intersection is Donlan's Drug Store and they had a magazine rack, and in this magazine rack was a copy of SAIL Aug. 1973...I still have it, and the rest,as they say, is history.

Can I get rid of it? The answer is a loud, NO!!! I've tried but to no avail. I guess I'll have to take it to my grave or maybe I'll come down with some form of mental dementia that will erase it from my memory ::). Time will tell.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

dnice

Quote from: Pappy Jack on October 30, 2008, 09:56:44 PM
Dan is right. Sailing is an infection but you don't even have to go sailing to catch it. In my case I was crossing the intersection of Water St. and Winnebago in my home town in N.E. Iowa when I was infected. Just that quick. Where it came from I have no idea but infected I was, and am to this day. Anyway, on the corner of this intersection is Donlan's Drug Store and they had a magazine rack, and in this magazine rack was a copy of SAIL Aug. 1973...I still have it, and the rest,as they say, is history.

Can I get rid of it? The answer is a loud, NO!!! I've tried but to no avail. I guess I'll have to take it to my grave or maybe I'll come down with some form of mental dementia that will erase it from my memory ::). Time will tell.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

I can vouch for the infectious bug, I can't describe how I caught it, but there is no denying that it is there.
as far as a cure goes...I wish I had the book to quote it...but Jan De Hartog said in his book "the sailors life" that there is no cure. Once a child starts dreaming of the open seas he either has to become a sailor or he is doomed to a life of regret and 'what if's'.

I know I'm doomed to a sailors life, come what may, there is no curing this disease.