News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Waterline

Started by Marc, October 28, 2008, 06:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

My boat has not seen the water for over 10 years, remember I'm restoring.  How does one go about establishing a waterline as far as the painting goes?  I have some but very few marks to go by.  This maybe the last week I can work on her because of the weather getting too cold for the paint.  Almost makes me want to move south so I can finish her  it is so close.  I also remeber  a thread on bedding compund other thhan 3200, any suggestions??  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

AdriftAtSea

For bedding compounds, I prefer 3M 4200 or 4000.  :)  5200 is too strong and not flexible/elastic enough for most things. Butyl rubber is good for a lot of things too. :)

As for the waterline, if you have a few marks that you're sure are for the waterline that might be enough. Borrow one of the new laser levels and use that to connect the marks... and then scribe or tape the line.  :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Karletto

waterline can be calculated but you don't have enough data about the hull, dwt, plans etcetc and if you would have, i'm too lazy to calculate it. so use marks you already have. 8)
u can put empty boat in water, mark the waterline, pull it ashore and add some more (nrt) waterline. dry it and pain it.

Marc

I have my  waterline issue rsolved!  I talked to blue water yachts, and they told me what to do, appreciate everyone's concern.  I have taped off where it will be.  Then I will paint the hull and then botttom paint next spring.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa