News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bowsprit/forestays

Started by nowell, November 12, 2008, 01:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nowell

So im curious on what everyones thoughts are about adding bowsprits for an extra forestay (maybe for a storm jib)? Keeping with the KISS plan, I still use hanked on sails, but im considering running another forestay so I wouldn't have to worry about changing sails in rough weather.

KISS would be to just change sails early, reef the jib, or use a smaller sail constantly.

What are your pros/cons/ideas?
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

AdriftAtSea

Nowell-

You wouldn't want to rig an extra forestay on the bowsprit for a storm jib... you'd want an inner forestay or a solent stay instead.  That way you could keep the big sail on the furler, for use in lighter winds, and then furl it for storms... and use the storm sail on the inner forestay for the storms.

Putting a storm sail out on the bowsprit is a really dumb idea.... you want the storm sail as close to the center of the boat as you can get. Putting it closer in reduces the chance of lee helm problems and makes the boat behave better in heavy conditions.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

nowell

I wasn't going to rig it for a storm sail, sorry, should have clarified. I was more questioning the idea of using a bowsprit for an extra forstay so you could move your headsails out more (ie pros vs cons of changed sail plan as well as the added ability of having room for inner stays, multiple sails rigged, etc)

Sorry, guess my thoughts were clearer than my fingers!  ;D
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

AdriftAtSea

Moving the sails forward may cause some problems with lee helm.  Most boats were designed to sail with the sails where they are... and moving them will affect the boat's balance.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

nowell

personally, im going to stay with hanked on sails and run a removable inner forstay, but a few of the big boat dock sailors were trying to lecture me on roller furling and my "under sized" headsail. I think they were just jealous because I still go out on the weekends and they are tied up.
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

thistlecap

I agree 100% with hanked sails.  If you use a downhaul on the headsail, something that has been tried and proven for hundreds of years, you have basically the same advantages you get with furling sails without destroying your sail set in higher winds when you try to furl.  The only times I've been in trouble offshore were because of fouled furling sails or failing furling gear.  I know of a couple boats abandaned at sea because the flogging sails were not only scaring the crew to death, but trying to tear the boat apart.  I don't agree with their decision to leave, but can understand a less experienced crew feeling they were  in a crisis situation.  In Horta, Azores, I was in a chandlery where the subject of furlilng gear came up.  When I offered my dislike of them, the owner, with a smile on his face, asked me to follow him out back.  He had a huge pile of furling gear   stacked like firewood.  He said basically he agreed with me, but liked the gear because of the business it brought him.   Furling has its place on bareboat charter boats or for inland gunkholing, but has no business offshore. 

Hanked sails are great.  A strong reefing jib gives you versatility without an extra sail, and drives you without going to a storm jib right away, which are often underpowered. 

A bowsprit may be okay just for a drifter, but a telescoping pole can accomplish the same thing with less gear.  I've sailed a lot of vessels with bowsprits, but they were designed and built for bowsprits.  Retrofitting with one is probably not the best approach.

nowell

Great reply Thislecap! This is the conversation I was looking to start up! Thanks for your input!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176