Question: hull - deck joint on Pearson Renegade

Started by polecat, November 02, 2008, 11:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polecat

Does anyone have a drawing or can anyone describe how it is put together? Toe-rail is off & interior is open & still can't figure how they put it together.  Looks like the gunnel is just rolled over flat to the inside and the deck is set on.  No thru bolts in sight - just a few 1 1/2" stainless screws every 6 inches.

jim

s/v Faith

Jim,

The deck joints on other Pearson's of this vintage were pretty simple, but some of the toughest.  The screws were not structural, but only serve to hold the stainless rub strake on (or provide a good path for a slow leak when heeled over).

The deck and hull had a rolled flange, which were bedded with some kink of sealant (not adhesive, as would be used today).  They were tabbed in (rather sloppily) from below with random scraps of fiberglass.... I know it sounds hokey.... but there seem to be very few reports of these comming apart.

Here are some pictures that were reported to be of a Triton... Hard to tell, but it might give you some idea of what you are looking at.

What I did on Faith was to grind out as much of the sealant that I could, and drill out each of the screw holes to 1/4".  I then tapered the screw holes and forced thickened epoxy into the gap, and each and every hole.  I replaced the rubstrake, but swapped it end for end so the new holes would not be in the same places.  I also added some tabbing in under the hull to deck joint but don't think that was necessary.

Of course the Ariel does not have the wooden rail as I believe your Renegade came with.  I hope the structure of the joint is as similar as I suspect it to be, and this is of some use to you.

(on edit, had to post on FLICKR since they were too big to attach....)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

In searching for the other hull to deck joint pictures I came across some more discussion of the Triton hull to deck joint on Glissandro; Triton #381's awesome web site  There is some more pictures of the joint as well as Tim's amazing work on the Glissandro's rails.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

polecat

Faith - I've been told that the Renegade is like the bristol 29 and comparing the 2 - looks to be correct.  Will need to replace quite a bit of fiberglass tabbing on the inside and reseal the outside under the toe rail.  Water tends to stand along the inside of the toe rail and find its way below in any number of places.  The Triton/ariel generation looks like a much better joint.
Jim