Twenty Affordable Sailboats - To take you anywhere......

Started by Greenman, November 14, 2008, 04:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenman

LOL Maybe.

I have this book and is was a fun read. For anyone interested in what is covered in the book there are notes on the following boats,

1. Alberg 35
2. Allied Princess 38
3. Baba 30
4. Bayfield 32
5. Bristol 35.5
6. C&C Landfall 35
7. Cape Dory 33
8. Cheoy Lee Clipper 36
9. CSY 37
10. Endeavour 37
11. Island packet 31
12. Islander 32 MkII
13. Luders 33
14. Morgan 382
15. Niagra 35
16. Pacific Seacraft 31
17. Pearson 35
18. S2 11.0
19. Tartan 34
20. Valient 32

as well as stuff in regards to certain ratios, some owners associations and a comparison chart.

I have heard good and bad about this book. I liked it, but I take most things I read in books (and online) with a measure of salt.

Shawn
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Lynx

MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

Yes, there is also John Vigor's 20 Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere.

I do notice that the size of the boat in the newer book is on average quite a bit bigger than those in John's book.  His boats ranged from 20' to 32', where the new book's boats range from 30' to 38' or so.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Greenman

Yes, I think the popular trend is for "small" boats to be under 40 feet and "average" cruising boats to be in the 40+ feet range. Way too much for me I think.

I do not have the first book, but it will be in one of my future Amazon orders if I see it.
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Capt. Tony

Ah-nothing exceeds like excess.  Muffin absolutely loves her Excursion for running to the grocery store or dropping off her two kids at school. ::) 

Maybe some people feel that a 40 foot boat is small because they are trying to cram all of their prior possesions into it instead of using their boat as a platform to gain the more valuable intangible items it is more capable of holding...eh-just a thought.  Maybe it is size.  Then I'm woefully less than average! ;D

Lynx

I think it is more of a "Class" issue. I have seen way to may people waiting on parts in ports or cannot handle their boats in seas or winds. 2 people just do not need that much room. It is also how much they think they can afford. Not really assing the ture cost long term.

A heavy displacement, long boat is easier at anchor in some seas. Just try to up anchor in 30 feet of water, with 150 feet of chain out and the windlass broken, 
MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

Lynx-

The advantage of a smaller boat is that you can anchor in shallower waters and have lighter ground tackle.  Hauling up the rode and anchor for a 30' boat is often doable without a windlass... doing so for a 45' boat not so much...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

mrb

Funny thing about all those boats being in the 30 to 40 ft. range.  Think all those company started out making boats in 20 to 30 ft range, people bought them and made world cruise and were happy.  doubt one makes a boat much under 30ft today. 

Wonder if boat manufactures are like car and house builders,  we'll build our reputation on smaller then go larger not quite the quality for more profit. 

If economy doesn't change maybe they will pull out those older molds?  can hope so.

Good sailing
mrb

chris2998

I have this book and the small boat book as well.

When I first joined this forum I was pretty well set on a 35ft well my mind has changed I'd rather have something around a 30ft now.
I have been following a website of a couple who live near me who bought a 38ft Shannon with the intention of sailing around the world. Well this couple has the boat down in Florida for repairs and the wife had to go back to work to pay for some of the maintenance for the boat. It's a beautiful boat they own but just seems like to much boat for this couple and it is sad that it cost so much to maintain such a huge boat. They should have gone smaller. I am realizing that now with me I want something alot more simple. yeah it maybe smaller then I'd like but hopefully I don't have to spend my life paying for the maintenace and I can go sailing for a year or so without working

Soundbounder

30 feet is a nice size.
You can single-hand it, the costs are less, and there is still decent room aboard.