News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Arrild's First Sail

Started by Captain Smollett, January 02, 2009, 06:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

A boy who lives here in the marina, aboard a Pearson 23, has never sailed before.  He of course wants to learn but being aboard a sail boat is new and strange to him.  Last week I went over and showed him how to bend on his 110 jib, lead the sheets and we worked out his halyards (the PO had them all tangled round each other, shrouds, mast, etc).

We'd been looking for a chance to go out for a quick 'lesson' but had not worked out with schedules and weather.  Today we had a chance meeting on the dock and I said "hey, wanna go?"  His "Sure!" had no hesitation.

So, with the two little ones in tow, we headed over to his boat.  He had the ob warmed up, jib on and was getting stuff stowed when we got over there.  We motored out the marina and through the construction bridge and I raised the main.

After telling him to throttle down and idle the engine, I told him "you are sailing."  He was pretty excited.

Wind was just West of South 10-15 kts (though gusty with lots of lulls near calm) and temp around 60, overcast and occasional sprinkling.  Purty good sailing day!

We motorsailed under the highway fixed bridge, killed the engine, raised the jib and headed downriver.  Good stuff, at least in the puffs.  The boat made a lot of leeway (there's a question about whether the cb is up or down, and the drum used to raise lower it seemed to be jammed), so we tacked once to regain the good side of the channel.

Arrild: "I cannot believe how quiet it is."

I think he's hooked.

A couple of miles from the marina, it started to get more rainy and my son was asking to use the head (which Arrild's boat does not have), so we dropped the jib and began motorsailing back (the wind had gotten very flukey).  After clearing the fixed highway bridge, he headed up and idled so I could drop the main to motor through the little bridge and into the marina.

When the OutBoard promptly died.

As we were leaving the dock, Arrild suggested we leave his anchor on the dock...but I suggested we bring it "just in case."  We stowed it in a cockpit locker, and I had led the bow dock line aft.  So, adrift, not too far from either the bridge or a small shoaley area (with the water down 3 feet today due to "wind tide"), I tied the rode to the bow line and we dropped the hook from the cockpit for him to check out the engine.

No go.

So, I suggested, "why don't we sail back."   ;D  The only real tricky part is going through the little bridge (currently under construction, so the span where the draw will be is open).  With the wind blowing the way it was there at the juncture of the two rivers, I thought I could make it if I hit it just right.  To go straight through the span would have the wind dead on the nose and I found that boat does not carry her way like my Alberg does.   ;)

On the way out, we passed a Hunter going in motoring with sail cover on and nothing apparent on board that suggested to me that boat was 'ready' to be sailed.  I remarked to Arrild about it, that if something happened to their mechanical propulsion, they'd be hosed...or could be.  Even if motoring, she's a sailboat and engines fail.

As I raised the main, he said, "did you jinx me?"  He was a little nervous.  I hated to 'take command' of his boat, especially on his first sail, but the close in maneuvering along with the gusty, spotty wind mostly in our teeth called for a light touch on the tiller.  Remember I said that. ;D

He raised the jib because we barely had steerage with just main except in the puffs.  I aimed for the windward side of the open span and came in at an angle so I could foot off for speed right as I got there.  We got headed a few yards out, but got the jib into some clear air and before we knew it, the nose was inside.  Good as golden, though Arrild was not sure we were going to make it.  Unless I misjudged the leeway she was making, I knew we'd clear the last piling.

On the other side, we stayed on the port tack until almost to the Sheraton face dock (the marina across the river from us).  "Ready About" and around we came, shooting for coming alongside on the face of B-Dock in our marina (his slip is about a third of the way down C dock...no way I was going to attempt a down-wind slip landing).

Leeway again the problem...was were sliding back down toward the bridge and I knew we had to tack again and get MUCH high to approach the B-Face.  Foot off, get some boatspeed, and LULL.  She stalled in irons without enough to come around, though I had her nose JUST around with the jib backed.  If we had a puff, she would have pushed around at that point but nothing...but drift toward that bridge - the one we could not clear.

I sculled the tiller one time...good, she's starting to come around.  I tried again and ...

SNAP.

The tiller broke right at the rudder.   >:(  Seems one of the bolts had been leaking and allowed some rot inside.

So...in irons, no tiller, just enough lee drift with a lee "shore" in the form of a bridge.

Now, THAT'S Sailing!!!!

Ya gotta say one thing for stern hung rudders...you can get a hand on 'em with the tiller breaks.   ;D

We got around, headed back across. 

The short version to the end now, is, of course, we finally did make our docking alongside on B dock, though it took several tries (man that boat was making leeway) and one failed attempt at A-Dock, even (which I jibed out of).

Safely tied alongside, I asked Arrild what he thought of his first sail.  "Interesting" I think was his reply.  He was upset about his engine (though got it running and he's now back in his slip...), and I told him "that's outboards..."

I asked him what was the most important lesson he learned.  "She's a sailboat FIRST and engines FAIL."

Good man.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

Great Story, Great Job! What a great lesson to give, one he will never forget.

A grog for ya
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

dnice

yep great story!

And what a great introduction to the world of sailing :)

So, this kid bought a 23' sailboat and moved aboard, without every having sailed before?
I'm curious about that story...

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

Well done Capn Smollett.  Good post... and a grog to ya.

BTW, nice recovery...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pablo

Quote from: dnice on January 02, 2009, 08:23:28 PM
So, this kid bought a 23' sailboat and moved aboard, without every having sailed before?
I'm curious about that story...

I was thinking the same thing. 
Paul

captain cajun

Wonderful, It's great to be young. WOw!
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

Oldrig

Smollett:
What a great story!
And you've created another sailing addict for sure!
BTW, I'm also wondering about somebody who'd move aboard a sailboat BEFORE learning how to sail.
--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

Turns out the Hunter I saw going in was having steering issues as well...broken cable, but had emergency tiller shipped.  His story is posted over at TSBB

As for Arrild: I think he is fairly tight on $$ and saw the boat for sale as a relatively inexpensive way to live.  I'm not sure any more details than that, I just know he came to me the other week asking about anchoring out.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Chattcatdaddy

When I was around 26 I bought a Cal 29 and moved aboard and had never been on a sailboat. Sold it about 2 yrs later and been stuck on the ground ever since, I`m 35 now. After he fixes all the problems with boat he will see its not really all that cheap. ;D.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I know alot of people around the harbour helped me along the way. Just got to know how to seperate the good advice from the BS. He did the first step right and thats just going out there and doing it.
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Marc

WOW, give the kid some credit,he has got a set of @#%*.  What you did Captain was super cool!  Iwish I had that kind of oppurtunity back when I was 23.  On his own, probably just getting started in a trade, or maybe even going to school.  I wish him all the luck in the world.  BTW did the boat come with a dink?  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Marc on January 06, 2009, 06:28:32 AM

I wish him all the luck in the world. 

As do I.  I have not seen him in a few days.

BTW did the boat come with a dink?

Not that I've seen.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina