News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

A sad tale

Started by Pappy Jack, November 14, 2008, 03:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy Jack

Here is a story from another website that we can all learn from. I hope nothing like this happens to any of us. http://www.landfallnavigation.com/derelict.html.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

s/v Faith

Good find Pappy.

FWIW,

Sophia = wisdom.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

thistlecap

1992 was a particularly violent spring in the North Atlantic.  Gales were lined up like pickets in a fence.  We endured five---four between Bermuda and the Azores, and another between there and Spain.  We sighted a sailboat with the sails set, but flogging uncontrollably.  We waved to see if we'd get a response from someone watching us from below.  We yelled to attract attention.  We blew the horn, and nothing.  We got within a few feet, and could see the steering vane was broken, and there were tools scattered about the after end of the cockpit.  The only thing we could surmise was someone was attempting to work on the vane and accomplish what they assumed would be a quick fix, since the sails were still set, and accidentally slipped over the side.  We called the Coast Guard and gave them what information we had, and said that the seas were too high to attempt a boarding.  As well as we could tell, the vessel was unmanned.  While it was a remote possibility that we could get a line on her, we offered to attempt it if they wanted us to tow it on into the Azores.  They said, "No," we'll pass on the position and information to the appropriate authorities."  Their last comment got to me in several aspects. "There are TWELVE unmanned sailboats floating about the North Atlantic right now.  There's no sense taking unusual risks with that one."  After sailing a couple more laps around the boat trying to peer in through the open hatch, we resigned ourselves to continuing our passage with our minds plagued with the scenarios of what could have befallen the missing crew.
When we arrived in Horta, we saw a Scandinavian boat that had been towed in minus its husband and wife crew.  The deck had been swept of rig, stanchions, and virtually anything else that stood on deck. 

In the Sport Cafe we met a crew that had come close to meeting the same fate, saved only by a bizarre fluke of nature.  They had been sailing about a degree north of us.  All five crew were sitting in the cockpit, untethered. A huge wave swept the boat, knocking it on its beam ends or beyond, and washing all five crew into the sea.  The next wave knocked the boat down again, shoving it sideways through the water, either scooping up three crewman or enabling them to hang on until the boat righted itself.  They were then able to maneuver and retrieve the other two. 

tdsail

Goes to show tho that it seems better to stay with your boat than not....

newt

This is all an incredible reminder to tie in when I am soloing. It looks like the boat may make it, but if you do not tie in, you are less likely to.
I have been flipped around and landed on my butt in the cockpit ( when soloing). The ocean is the ocean, and it really shouldn't be trusted, even if it looks peaceful and calm. ;)
I find it interesting that my new ocean going project (a Valiant) has jack lines built in.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

rtbates

I have watched many video clips of the Vendee Globe race and was very surprised to see that not one of the singlehanders was ever tethered, even when on the bow as it took on tons of water. Believe me, I won't be going that route.
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

AdriftAtSea

Newt—

How are the jacklines built in??? Photos???
Quote from: newt on November 24, 2008, 12:25:00 PM
This is all an incredible reminder to tie in when I am soloing. It looks like the boat may make it, but if you do not tie in, you are less likely to.
I have been flipped around and landed on my butt in the cockpit ( when soloing). The ocean is the ocean, and it really shouldn't be trusted, even if it looks peaceful and calm. ;)
I find it interesting that my new ocean going project (a Valiant) has jack lines built in.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

newt

I hemmm....didn't get the boat. Survey came up short. But to answer your question, Valiants are built with a cable that goes right under the windows along side the doghouse. They terminate aft of the chain locker, and you clip into them as you exit the cockpit. For good examples of them, look at the Valiant 32 for sale in Port Townsend WA. It has a ton of pictures in which you can see them.

Bob23

I hate to change the subject, but Hi Newt! Bob23

captain cajun

Harness and Tethers, I have a harness which I bought from west marine, I looked a buying a tether last year, wow the price.  So reading about your tie to the boat, what is the best way, how do others tie in? 
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

CharlieJ

Buy a tether. We investigated making our own- the hooks themselves cost pretty much what the ready made tethers do. Plain snap hooks or carbiners are NOT really safe- spend the bucks- they'll last a LONG time.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ChrisandVero

I would never use a snap hook for holding a load you want to keep (like yourself). That said, I would argue 'why not' for using a couple of spring-lock or screw gate carabiners. They have kept me safe and secure on many climbing trips, are designed to hold in the event of rather large shock-loads, and lock closed against accidental opening.

rtbates

Quote from: cajun on January 06, 2009, 09:22:41 PM
Harness and Tethers, I have a harness which I bought from west marine, I looked a buying a tether last year, wow the price.  So reading about your tie to the boat, what is the best way, how do others tie in? 

IF you can sew and have a machine SAILRITE will sell you a kit. It uses the double lock (high dollar) clips.They even have a double tether kit that uses elastic inside to keep the unused tether off the deck.

I don't believe you want to even think of going the ,"cheapest I can find route" here.
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

CharlieJ

The only reason I wouldn't use a screw lock carbiner is SOMETIMES you may want to hook or unhook NOW!!! With wet cold hands I don't want to have to mess with trying to unscrew a locking carbiner.

There are better clips for this purpose.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

captain cajun

thanks for all the incite, West Marine now has a tether for 69.00 plus shipping.  The kit idea, sewing... but thanks.  Nice to know all the options
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

newt

Sorry I have been out of the country for a few weeks...
Hi Bob- good to see another small sailor made it over from the Compac site!
I don't think I paid that much for my tether- but that being said I would get the best one rated by Practical Sailor. It is just too dangerous not to get the best if you are planning some solo (or alone in the cockpit) action. And I would get it new- they are making them better all the time.
I think a tether is particularly critical in a small boat- too long and you go overboard - perhaps drown on your tether- too short and you can't move around the boat. I also like a quick release at the harness-if you are being drowned you can perhaps release and swing back on to the boat.
You laugh, but I have been over the side of my boat twice while it was trying to sail away- and it is not fun. Both times were from stepping on the dock too soon and finding my boat going out to sea- jumping for it and only getting the toerail- but that is another story :o

AdriftAtSea

Two points.  First, you want a snap shackle that you can release under a load on the body side of the harness—since, if you really want to be free of your tether, you usually want to be free of your tether right NOW.  Second, screw-lock carabiners are more likely to hold water, corrode, and are far more difficult to clip and unclip—which is generally not what you want in bad conditions, when you want to be unclipped for as short a time as possible.  Get a Gibb, Wichard Kong, or other "double-action" hook designed for this purpose.

Quote from: ChrisandVero on January 07, 2009, 03:18:49 PM
I would never use a snap hook for holding a load you want to keep (like yourself). That said, I would argue 'why not' for using a couple of spring-lock or screw gate carabiners. They have kept me safe and secure on many climbing trips, are designed to hold in the event of rather large shock-loads, and lock closed against accidental opening.

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

maxiSwede

A knife -always in your belt or at your leg (divers knife?) is a very good insurance as to be able to immediately get out of the tether IMHO.

I haven't really figured out the most convenient way of carrying it in REALLY hot eather though... the divers knife in a holster on one's leg is the best idea I've come to think of.

Unfortunately, the weather conditions here doesn't need that arrangement More than 2-5 days per year... ::)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

AdriftAtSea

MaxiSwede—

Continually cutting the tether to free the harness as the quick release method does get a bit old at times...and expensive. ;)  I'd rather have a proper snap shackle at the body end of the tether.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

maxiSwede

Adrift -

I am not sure we're talking about the same thing here... The only reason I can think of to 'get out of' your tether INSTANTLY would be if I was dragged beside and/or underwater, and then, in the real world, cutting the d**n thing is the only way to go. I'd (not) like to see the guy who would be tinkering with snap shackles or screw-on hooks or whatever poop the chandlers try to sell us.

INSTANTLY is the key word here I reckon.

As an aside; a friend of mine with a couple of single-handed circumnavigations under his belt plus an attempt on a world record, said the simplest are the best. Just a line around your waist with a good knot and then a hook in the other end. Because then, opposed to harnesses, you would really wear the thing, even while asleep... because if  you don't, you won't wear it on deck either after waking up and having to jump up on deck to reduce sail or whatever...

Certainly makes sense in my experience too... I haven't been that good in wearing a harness and tether. They ARE awkward, you DO get tangled in the d**rn thing, they are a hassle 90 % of the time, BUT, they could save your BUTT too, one of these days... that's why I've spent some time considering how to get more comfortable wearing them....
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com