Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Wind Vane and Outboard?

Started by nowell, November 25, 2008, 03:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Quote from: TJim on November 26, 2008, 10:40:44 PM
I am really satisfied with my Norvane.... However I'd liked the price better when I bought it....As I remember it was just over 1700 plus about 60 for frieght, but under 1800 total....TJim

Thanks Jim, that is a very good recommendation, how ya doing, tied in San Diego for Thanksgiving?
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

matt195583

just a thought on the outboard . If outboards are prone to swamping in larger seas , would it be viable to duct the air intake into an aft locker (providing the locker is vented) . Ive not had too much to do with outboards especially on sailboats but have had quite a lot to do with 4X4's and a snorkel is always one of the first additions .

nowell

I can't see why you would be running an outboard in seas that could swamp it anyway. If the sea state was like that, you should have no problem with wind  ;D
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

TJim

Yep got the boat at Fidlers Cove Navy marina and I'm home in Salt Lake until Tuesday when I'll be going to Berkeley and and picking up my 135 (110 is useless down here) and a replacement plow for the one I left on the bottom on the way down.  My fellow Triton owner, Norman is going to drive me down and spend a couple days with me before I get underway on about the 15th.  Posted a latitude 38 ad for crew (adult with some experience).  Kinda short notice but the 2 guys I used to get to Santa Barbara sure didn't help me any and they were both imature at 30.  I'd rather singlehand than go thru that again.  TJim

AdriftAtSea

Not always true... sometimes you can have really nasty seas after a storm has passed, and very little wind.... :)
Quote from: nowell on November 27, 2008, 07:46:58 AM
I can't see why you would be running an outboard in seas that could swamp it anyway. If the sea state was like that, you should have no problem with wind  ;D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

newt

TJ have you tried crewseekers? If you google sailboat crew you get alot of interesting sites, some with sailors in California willing to go anywhere warm. I don't know how good they might be but it just a thought. I would interview real carefully for living on a Triton!
About the windvane- you know there is another system...I steer my Compac with a sail to tiller system and it is pretty consistent.  The cost was just a few parts I had lying about the garage and some good surgical tubing. It kinda cluttters up the back of the cockpit, bit doesn't get in the way of my outboard. I have seen some installations that route the lines out of the way and really look nifty. Of course you don't get a second tiller, but if your offshore you should know how to steer without a tiller anyway, and have your boat balanced well with your sails.
Fair winds
newt
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...