News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Manual pump for galley

Started by Amgine, December 01, 2008, 11:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

I'm working through my list of major fixes in preparation for next summer's hopefully-open-ended cruise... One of the biggies is restoring a working fresh water system at the galley.

The fresh water system has been one of my biggest buggaboos on this boat, a Cape Dory 25D. The low-pressure on-demand system that was installed died the day I signed the paperwork. I replaced that with a fynspray bronze handle pump, which lasted for a season before suddenly becoming stiff and finally freezing up. And it doesn't appear to be serviceable. Last year I put in an obnoxious plunger-type fynspray which has never really worked. Takes all my strength to pull up the plunger.

I'd like to put all the blame on fynspray, but I don't really know. I've replaced all the hose to the tank twice now, on the off chance there was a pinch somewhere.

I definitely want a manual system. I had a great (and massive) bronze handle pump on a previous boat which worked without hassle, was easily taken apart to replace the leathers or seals, and just worked without thinking about it. I just don't see such an old-fashioned example of quality on the market anymore.

Anyone have suggestions?

Tim

I have dual foot pumps (Gushers) one for fresh one for sea. They have been on for awhile and do have kits to rebuild them. I would never go back to a hand pump, especially as I get older and stiffer.

Tim
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

The flynspray units are good, but they will get nearly impossible to move as soon as the water dries out of the rubber seals.

If you loosen the nut that holds the packing and pour a little water down there it frees right up.

Some like the foot pumps better. CJ has a comical description of trying to wash your hands with one of the hand pumps.  I like them because you are aware of every drop of water you use.  Rose, Peter, and I were able to use less then a gallon a day using a hand pump.  I am quite sure I would have used more if I had a foot pump.

There is another thread on this somewhere...
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Auspicious

I also have twin foot pumps (fresh / raw) although I have pressure water as well. I really like the foot pumps -- it doesn't take much practice to develop a fine touch to meter fresh water with the foot pump.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

thistlecap

I'd cast a third vote for foot pumps.  I hate pressure water systems mainly for two reasons.  They use huge amounts of DC current, and whenever you have a non-waterman aboard, they leave them running and empty the tanks, assuming there's a long hose laying across the bottom and ashore to the water plant.  The very first thing I've done on any boat I've gotten with pressure water is disconnect it and replumb to foot pumps.  They are reliable, leave your hands free for washing, conserve water, and can be replaced with a spare pump in 5 minutes if the need arises, but I don't know when that will be.  I've never replaced one.  The two I installed in this boat have been in service for 8 years.

Amgine

Great responses! It's looking like the foot pump might be the best choice (it's all that darned unanimity here). The galley on the Cape Dory 25D is not particularly generous  or accessible, but I think I may be able to figure out a space for the two pumps.

Now... there are at least 3 foot pumps on the market... we have one vote for the gusher model. Anyone else have a favourite?

CharlieJ

Whale Gusher Mk 3. And If I can fit one into Tehani, you can certainly squeeze one into your  CD 25. You got more beam :D

I really wouldn't worry about two though- just do the fresh water. If you want salt water, use a bucket over the side. It ain't THAT far to the side on a 25 footer.

KISS principle ya know ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I'd second Charlie's suggestion for using a bucket for the salt water... also removes the risk of an additional through-hull. :)
Quote from: CharlieJ on December 02, 2008, 04:45:30 PM
Whale Gusher Mk 3. And If I can fit one into Tehani, you can certainly squeeze one into your  CD 25. You got more beam :D

I really wouldn't worry about two though- just do the fresh water. If you want salt water, use a bucket over the side. It ain't THAT far to the side on a 25 footer.

KISS principle ya know ;D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Godot

Speaking of removing through-hulls ... has anyone considered removing the sink drain through hull and having the sink drain into a two gallon (or whatever) jerry jug?  It seems to me that two gallons would more than hold the average gray water for a day, would alleviate a possible point of failure, and would be a bit more convenient than having to carry a sink without a drain into the cockpit to dump (see Charlie's solution).  Of course, it would take up some valuable under galley space (you can't have everything :)). 

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Oldrig

I've got a 25D, too. And it has two dreadful manual pumps, one for the sink in the head compartment and one at the so-called galley sink.

If I were going to do any serious long-distance cruising (someday?) with this boat, I'd definitely get a foot pump for the galley. And, based on the performance of my manual bilge pump, I'd go with the Gusher. They last a long time, and you can easily find rebuild kits for them through Defender.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Tim

Quote from: Godot on December 02, 2008, 08:34:55 PM
Speaking of removing through-hulls ... has anyone considered removing the sink drain through hull and having the sink drain into a two gallon (or whatever) jerry jug?  It seems to me that two gallons would more than hold the average gray water for a day, would alleviate a possible point of failure, and would be a bit more convenient than having to carry a sink without a drain into the cockpit to dump (see Charlie's solution).  Of course, it would take up some valuable under galley space (you can't have everything :)). 

Since my cockpit drain is also my sink drain I am probably not going to change it. I am also leaving in the thru hull for the sea water in the sink. Al three of these are easily inspected and along with the fact that Mariah will probably be stored on the hard when not cruising makes feel they are of limited liability. Having an interior drain makes it a lot more comfy on cold wet days.  :)

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

AdriftAtSea

My two sinks drain overboard, but via through-hulls that are well clear of the water.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Bill NH

The other advantage of a foot pump is that if it is below the water tank it will never lose its prime, whereas handpumps often lose prime when they start to dry out...

Can't remember where the potable water tank on a 25D is located -  my 26D is below the V-berth, but you don't have on of those... ;)
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

Amgine

Tank is below the quarter berth, about 3' from the galley sink (which is behind the companionway steps... thus the problem figuring out where to put the foot pump.)

CharlieJ

We have two tanks- one up under the vee berth, at the other end of the boat. The other is under the cockpit center floor, 3 feet from the pump. We have zero problems with either location. Next I'm aboard ( probably tomorrow) I'll shoot some pics
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

I have a flex tank under vberth and one under cockpit floor. My sink is next to the steps also.

W.A. Ward

Joe Pyrat

Due to the narrow cabin sole on the Triton I went with a hand pump because the foot pumps would be in the way of fore and aft movement.  I have never used it though, I do my pre-rinse over the side then fill my plastic wash tub with some hot water, add detergent, wash the dishes, rinse in the sink with fresh water then throw the used dishwater over the side and I rinse out the wash tub. 
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

mitiempo

Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

Amgine

...and the marina replacing the docks, I'm trying to get to this one on my list of tasks.

When I was at the chandlery I opened one of the gusher Mk3s to check out the method of securing it, and as I feared it can only be attached down onto something. Since the galley is aft under the companionway, the only portion of cabin sole where the foot lever might be placed discreetly is through the fibreglass liner aft, and there is no sole on the other side. Nothing to attach it down onto.

So I'm currently contemplating a gusher Mk2 (thanks for the suggestion MiTiempo!) inside the cabin as slightly more aesthetic than a Mk3 in the cabin. Unless someone has a suggestion for creating an easy mounting bracket to be attached behind the fibreglass liner?

CharlieJ

That is not correct- the Mk 3 can be mounted onto a vertical bulkhead, Ours is done that way and only has a very small opening for the pedal to come through. I'll be at the boat today and I'll take a few pics of the mounting.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera