News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Hatch Seals

Started by Marc, December 04, 2008, 06:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Hey Guys, not that it matters much right now but I can still gather up material.  What are the best things to use for hatch seals on my foredeck, lazarette seal and canopy seal?  I,ve heard of things to use but I want to see what you guys say.  Sincerely Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Lynx

It somewhat depends on the hatch. My forward hatch is big enough for me to crawl through. There is a simple rubber tube seal. Not real good but then I do not get the heavy seas.

The main thins are -
Does the hatch need replaced?
Is there a lot of flex in the hatch?
Cleaning and glewung the serfact.
Finally - the but cut used. It is best to used a 45 degree cut. It should be with a fixed device. Then glued together, and cured before installing.

Good luck, Which boat do you have?
Putting that in your profile would help.
MacGregor 26M

Bubba the Pirate

AND whatever you do - don't use a silicone based anything to stick the gasket to the hatch.   My PO used some on the hatch to my main cabin.  It came loose and now I have no seal!  I'm not sure I can get anything to fix it.   There is another in the forward cabin/Vberth that appears to be OK.  They are both the 15 or 19" square Lewmar hatches. 

Any ideas on how to remove silicone residue?!? 

Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

s/v Faith

Todd,

QuoteAND whatever you do - don't use a silicone based anything to stick the gasket to the hatch.

That is not me crying.. it is tears of joy.   ;D ;) :P ;D ;D ;D

I COULD not AGREE more!

Unfortunately there is no way to remove the oil left, and you may find it very hard to get any sealant or paint to adhere to the surfaces.  There are 'release agents' some have had luck with as far as getting rid of the surface silicone.. no love for the fiberglass under neith though.

If you are replacing the gasket, and it is attached to an aluminum hatch you will have less trouble.  If it is fiberglass... good luck.

See the earlier discussion here.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.