News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Manual pump for galley

Started by Amgine, December 01, 2008, 11:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

Yep, you're right. I had to get dispensation from a god to be able to open the box and see how the pump can be affixed, but then I could see the attachment points so I went ahead and bought it.

Now to figure out where the best place will be, build a template, and figure out how to cut the frp...

AdriftAtSea

drilling holes and cutting openings is always the hard part of a project, since holes and cutouts are so permanent. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

psyche

I have the whale foot operated gusher galley MK3 in my galley 4 years ago and it has not skipped a beat.  It comes with a 5 year warranty. The one I replaced seems to have been original which would have been 30 years old. They are repairable and a kit is available. I found the best price at Defender. I installed the smaller round whale gusher in the head. Dan

Amgine

Well, I have the template ready, but I'm still not entirely sure about the best way to cut the lever cutout. I was thinking I might use a 3/4" wood boring bit, drill two holes and clean up the resulting slot. I might line the hole with the black plastic auto wiring conduit - I used that for lining holes in the plywood for plumbing to reduce chafe, and it looks pretty nice.

The other question I'm having is the faucet. There's a whale compact faucet that includes a valve - clearly designed for a pressure water system. And there's a telescoping plastic jobby; I think from seadog. Doesn't anyone have a simple brass faucet which can swing just a wee bit?

mitiempo

Fynspray of New Zealand makes a few http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|26723|305299&id=165312
they are available at Defendre (link above)
I have a couple made I believe by ABI, but I couldn't find any info about them on line. The Fynspray ones are very similar and they swing in either direction - very well made.

Edit - fixed link - CapnK
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

mitiempo

I tried the link above and it doesn't work - at Defender.com just click plumbing and then faucets and you'll see 2 different versions.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

skylark

I have this Fynspray in the head, it is kind of annoying because there is a ball inside as a valve and it is noisy when pumping it.  Also, try to wash your hands when using one hand to pump.  There are ways around this, by using a small bowl as a basin.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|299222|316451&id=199032

I have a Whale footpump in the galley but it is very old and started to leak.  I thought about rebuilding it but it is just too old, it would be better to just get a new one.  My water tank is also early 1970's, last time I washed it out in 2002 got a lot of brown stuff out of it, yuck,  what I really need to do is to get a couple of flexible bags, maybe two 20 gallon bags, or maybe even bigger than that.  I have tons of room in the "aft cabin" aka sail locker now that the inboard has been removed.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan