4 Aboard, the first month

Started by Captain Smollett, December 11, 2008, 01:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

I lived on a mooring for several months- not a problem if you aren't going to work every day.

In fact, the last almost a year I cruised, the boat never touched a dock, not once.

I had some good friends who lived aboard for 17 years, always on a mooring. She worked a regular job, and didn't swim. She put a PFD on every day and dinghied ashore, and back. He was a CWO on a Navy tender and was gone part of the time.

They INSISTED that the boat be kept in a regular state so it could sail in 10 minutes, ANYTIME. That's the biggest problem with living aboard and sailing- all the "C R A P " that gets spread around the boat that's just "too much trouble" to stow so you can sail the boat.  As a result, many live-aboards just don't sail much. 

Takes work to keep the vessel  in a "ready to go" state.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Joe Pyrat

Never was there a truer statement Charlie.  I've been here in Charleston for just a couple of weeks and the boat's a mess, stuff in the cockpit, projects laid out in the cabin, Christmas lights strung from the railings and mast.

That's me, the kind of glowing spot on the left.  Foggy, just before sunrise.

Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Auspicious

Quote from: CharlieJ on December 17, 2008, 08:40:13 PMThey INSISTED that the boat be kept in a regular state so it could sail in 10 minutes, ANYTIME.

That's darn good. My personal rule is 20 minutes (which means some things just get stacked on the floor).  Looking around the cabin at the moment I don't think I'd make it. I'm paying bills today and have two projects going so things are a tad disheveled.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.