News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Lemons

Started by Lynx, April 27, 2008, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I bought some lemons when I left Key Largo. I still have 1 and it is good, no rotton spots, 5 months latter. I kept it in a plastic bag.
MacGregor 26M

CharlieJ

I'm not surprised they lasted. I AM surprised they lasted in a plastic bag. We hang fruits and veggies in nets up along the hull side above the settees.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Manannan

lemons last long, but that long !!! are you sure there is still something inside, that it is not all dry out ?
at sea, the best is to  hang them individually so they do not touch each other to avoid bruises, that is if you have the room. otherwise, they do last quite a bit (not in plastic bag though I would think), if you check them regularly. I always had some trouble with the nets because unless it is in the middle of the boat, (and I hit my head in them), they will bang to something and damage the stuff inside...
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

newt

Manannan, you mentioned bruising fruit before, I am wondering it you could tie your fruit nets together and tack them to the side of the galley, having them exposed to air, but stablized to where they do not roll around and hit everything. Or would that be just too much trouble? Three or four point of attachment I think would solve the problem. (take the advice for what it is worth- free. ;) )
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

AdriftAtSea

Of course the hammocks of fruit wouldn't swing as much or be as likely to bruise the fruit on a multihull.... :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lynx

Just get some small trash bags or 3 to 5 gal zip lock bags and put below. Do not mix apples and other fruit and onions and potato's or else they rot early.

Air fruit in sun to help rippen and put with an apple.
MacGregor 26M

CharlieJ

You can also take green tomatoes, wrap them in paper and keep them in the dark. Then take one out each day or so. They'll keep for several weeks.

We picked about 20 green, but mature from our plants before a months cruise one year- enjoyed red ripe tomatoes for about two weeks- til they ran out that is ;D

None went bad.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Volksdraggin

Where would a person go about learning to make one of those fruit hammocks?
S/V Echo
1979 27' Watkins

Grime

Justin,
I had a hard time finding mine. I ended up finding them on ebay. I would check at Toys R Us as they are really for kids to store stuff animals in. Lisa took one and now has is in back of the bus with all her stuff frogs in.

David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Lynx

west Marine has a 6 foot one. they will bruse fruit if not secured very well
MacGregor 26M

Shawn T W.

I'd just buy some meshing like they make laundry bags out of, and tye the two ends with a cord, and hang . . .

Shawn