Fun and silliness in the galley utensils

Started by Amgine, February 03, 2009, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

Remember those silly play kitchens, and the even sillier "bake with an incandescent lightbulb" ovens primarily marketed for little girls?

Yesterday I was sent to the drug store for, of all things, drugs. And while waiting and wandering the aisles I came across a section cheesy kitchen gadgets all about making the incredible, edible egg. And they had a tiny non-stick frying pan designed to fry up exactly one egg, along with an appropriately sized silicon flipper. I repeat the word tiny; we're talking about 4" diameter here, maybe.

But I think it just may fit on the top of my Dickinson Newport stove. So I picked one up for the heck of it.

I should mention that I have the unsavory habit of opening a can of instant meal (chunky soup, chili, whatever) and setting it on top of the stove to heat, avoiding the effing alcohol stove as often as I can get away with it. What I really want is a tiny kettle for heating water for tea or coffee...

Joe Pyrat

I was at Charleston Cooks a couple of days ago and they had a single egg poacher of about this same size.  I am a real kitchen gadget junky so it was difficult to resis.  I made it out of the store that time but I'm not out of here yet so it still may happen.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

s/v Faith

Rose has a cheese grater that is about the size of a book of matches.  I think it was sold as a novelty, but it works well for the cheese on my eggs.  ;D

Especially the block cheddar you find pretty much everywhere in the Bahamas... Um  :)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.