News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Kestrel 2000 wind meter

Started by captain cajun, January 01, 2009, 01:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain cajun

Just wondering what  you all, think of this product. 
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

Tim

Although I am not familiar with them they look as though they are made by a quality company.

here is a link;

http://www.kestrelmeters.com/Kestrel_Meters/All_Kestrel_Meters/index.cat
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Delezynski

Cajun,

We have an older model aboard Guenevere. It works very go good at telling us the wind speed.....as long as I stand in deck and point it into the wind.  :-[

I have to go up on the coach roof, then hold the unit so that the wind passes directly through the unit. A lot of the time gusting wind does NOT come from the same direction as the normal wind. So, you don't get an accurate reading of the highest gusting. Not the fault of the instrument, but because I didn't point it correctly. 

If I get another unit, I will try to get one that has the paddle wheels on top and reads ALL direction.

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

AdriftAtSea

I saw one that had an omni-directional impeller instead of the directional vane on the Kestrels... it was a bit more useful since it didn't have to be aimed.  I'll see if I can dig up the info on it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

maxiSwede

Dunno if this has anything to do with this thread, really.

I've got a similar little 'gadget' or 'toy' that I never use anyway...

I've noticed that a few years of sailing and observing the sea, the wave pattern and yes;- the sensation of the wind against my cheek has made me perfectly capable of  'gauging' the wind speed down to a couple of  knots. I've also found that I can estimate the speed of my boat down to at least 0,2 knots without using a log. (backtesting against the GPS)

IMHO the human senses are FAR better than electronics in  a lot of different situations...  8) After all, I've made a living from using my senses the last 16 years... ::)

disclaimer - I DO like a radar whenever it's foggy though  ;D. It might take  some more training to be able to 'sense' that tanker heading towards us  ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Manannan

Yes, and there is a very good advantage to still have some hair on your head, you always know where the wind comes from, the longer they are the better chance you have to estimate the wind force  ;D
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

captain cajun

Wow, thanks for all information.  These little pond up here, I don't think I need one, but it's a hobby, yes and have the bug real, real bad.  I have a lot of time this winter sitting on the boat it the back yard seeing how it will work.  thanks again, Now what else?
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

mrb

cajun

I don't have a wind instrument, however have had a friend bring his along a couple times.  Most interesting thing I have observed is that wind is not as strong as I have thought it would be going off the Buford scale.  Can see where it would be nice to estimate ws and then check it with Gage and hopefully building better estimates.

Careful sitting in back yard, this is the time of year to get all the house chores done so they wont get in way of sailing time.

Thursday was idyllic sailing here then some yanks sent their excess cold air down
mrb

captain cajun

That's what I am planning on doing, look at the water and the breeze and use the meter to help train myself.  Boy it's cold tonight, need spring now.  As I sit at my desk, I have four books in front of me, Royce's Sailing Illustrated, Royce's Sailing Illustrated voume II, The elements of Seamanship, and the The complete Sailor.  No spring, but good books.
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

Fat Cat

I have a Krestrel 2000. It's a nice instument and does everything it claims to. Easy to use right out of the box. As one mentioned, it is usually less windy than you may guess. I have found that some of the gusts though are alittle surprising. The temp. part of the unit is nice too.  I really do like mine.  Brian

captain cajun

Thanks Brian,  I have received mine. I have been trying it out, "in the back yard, by the boat", Oh well.  thanks for your review.  Fair winds!
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado