News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Just Wondering

Started by As You Wish, April 30, 2009, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As You Wish

I have an ob with cockpit mounted controls (start and throttle).   Was wondering anybody ever rig steering to work with the tiller of the boat.  It would seem like it would give better control in tight areas.  Disconnect while sailing and motor up.

CharlieJ

All the Mac 26 X and M models do that. Of course they both have wheel steering.

I've also seen several other styles of boat with an outboard on the stern with steering rigged to the rudder. On Tehani the engine is in a well, so we don't move it- can't move it in fact in one direction, limited in the other.

You just plan your maneuvering so you don't NEED to move the engine.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

My boat is setup like that from the manufacturer.  There is a pin that goes into a collar and then into the tiller stock that allows you to steer the outboard when under power.

The way it was done is the outer collar is connected to a second steering quadrant that turns the outboard via a linkage under the deck. 

It would be difficult to retrofit this onto a boat not designed for it....but you could make something that provided a similar function on many boats.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on April 30, 2009, 05:42:00 PM

You just plan your maneuvering so you don't NEED to move the engine.

I wish I could.  I turn my ob all the time while maneuvering, especially in tight quarters and especially in reverse.

I *think* part of the issue is the small prop and location of the ob.  It's off-center and must push a LOT of boat.

In contrast, I rarely, if ever (I'm trying to think of an instance) turn the outboard on my little boat.  If I have done it, no doubt it was also a reversing situation where I could not get enough flow over the rudder.

Or maybe I just REALLY stink at handling my boats... :-\
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Auspicious

Drop by a fishing-oriented outdoor store like Bass Pro. Lots of bass boats have a big engine and a kicker hooked together for steering. Perhaps some of the gear sold for that purpose could be used between an outboard and a transom-hung rudder.

I've never tried it, but it could be effective.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

As You Wish

I was thinking     lines attached to the engine, then through two blocks on the rear stanchions, then to a cleat located toward the rear of the tiller, might be able to use the cleat as a form of tiller minder. 

I ve looked at the Mac's but the one I saw looks like there is no disconnect of the engine when sailing. 

That's a good idea about the Bass Pro type stores.   

CharlieJ    I have looked at some boats with motors in a well older Bristols I think, even looked at link about retro fitting a well.  Just not clear about stuff like, do you pull it up when under sail, how do you flush the engine of salt water, if it stays in the the water do you treat it like a prop on an inboard.   

s/v Faith

Quote from: As You Wish on April 30, 2009, 09:45:36 PM
I was thinking     lines attached to the engine, then through two blocks on the rear stanchions, then to a cleat located toward the rear of the tiller, might be able to use the cleat as a form of tiller minder.

That sounds like a reasonable set up, if you could make it connect/disconnect  easily.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Quote from: As You Wish on April 30, 2009, 09:45:36 PM
CharlieJ    I have looked at some boats with motors in a well older Bristols I think, even looked at link about retro fitting a well.  Just not clear about stuff like, do you pull it up when under sail, how do you flush the engine of salt water, if it stays in the the water do you treat it like a prop on an inboard.   

The outboard in a well is a good arrangement.  Different Sailors have them set up differently.

For more info take a look at this thread.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

On our boat, with our engine, no we cannot pull it up under sail. Yes, we treat it like an inboard prop. It is painted with anti fouling when we haul out, just like the bottom is. It uses a different paint though since it;s an aluminum lower unit and copper bottom paint wouldn't be nice there- electrolysis potential.

If we had a smaller engine we might be able to pull it when sailing. Ours is an 8 HP Yamaha 4 stroke and takes about 30 minutes, a wrench and two people to remove or install. We chose the Yamaha because it has the shift control on the outboard tiller so it's protrudes into the cockpit. We chose the 8 hp because it was the smallest 2 cylinder- we had limped into port ( on the Louisiana ICW) twice with one dead cylinder. We bought it in Louisiana when we were broken down with a dead engine on a trip from Florida- you DON'T travel the La part of the ICW without an engine.

And yes, the Yamaha comes in a 6 hp 2 cylinder, but it's the same engine, same weight.

We handle it pretty much like you would an inboard.

Edited to add- I SHOULD havr read the thread Faith indicated- I just rehashed old stuff ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

mrb

I've never had motor and rudder linked so can't make comment on that situation. However even on 27 Coronado I have never had a problem about steering with tiller only,forward or reverse.  I would not hesitate to use the motor in conjunction with the tiller if I ever felt it was needed, which has happend a couple of times in close quarters with boats which I would not wish to bump.

melvin