News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Back to sea...

Started by Bill NH, December 07, 2008, 04:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill NH

Didn't want to jinx plans by talking about them before things were all set, but the pieces have fallen into place, so...

I've been able to arrange a leave from my teaching job this spring, and will be returning to sea.  I'll be working with the Ocean Classroom (www.oceanclassroom.org), a high school "semester at sea" program that runs a full academic semester focused on experiential, hands-on learning.  Taught aboard the gaff schooner Harvey Gamage, the term will run from late January to early June, with the voyage ranging from the Eastern Caribbean to Honduras and Belize, and then up the east coast as far as Nova Scotia before ending in Maine.  I'll be sailing as Chief Mate, and involved in the education programs as well.  (A bit of déjà vu for me, as the Gamage was my first big captain's job more than a few years ago...)  And the best part is that my 16 year old daughter will be aboard as a student!  I'm so excited to be able to spend a semester sailing with her before she heads off to college, and she can't wait to return to her days as a live-aboard kid.

Needless to say we're both very excited about what this spring has in store.  I'm also rediscovering all the preparations needed to be able to disappear from my present routine for a few months without leaving confusion and loose ends in my wake.  You don't realize how quickly the moss can grow on a stone, how involved it is to get rolling again after staying at one job for a while...  Nice thing (especially with today's economy) is that I'll have my teaching job to return to next fall...  But who knows, this could become a semi-regular gig, especially with me having summers off as a teacher... but one trip at a time.

Hopefully I'll be able to hook up with a few fellow SailFar-ers on our trip up the coast in April and May.  I know we'll be putting into Charleston, SC, and possibly a stop somewhere in the Chesapeake as well.  I'll have a better idea before I head out in late January.

Anyhow, thanks for allowing me to share my excitement!   :)

125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

Congratulations... and look forward to hearing more.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Tim

Outstanding Bill, my stepdaughter went through the program about 5 years ago, I was so jealous. I can't remember what ship she was on (they went down as far as Puerto Rico) Since that trip she has sailed to Greenland, and went back a second time to kayak the west coast.

Although she inherently is a confident person. I think programs like that really make a difference in kids. She just found out there is a program in Southern California that takes "at risk" kids out on ships and may go down and apply to teach.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

nowell

Wow Bill, congrats! Im excited for you! This sounds amazing. What I wouldn't give to be a kid again and be able to do something like this! Im so jealous!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

chris2998

that is awsome, I sure wish I could have done this when I was in school

thistlecap

Congratulations Bill,
I started aboard the Gamage in 1984 as mate and celestial instructor.  This was when Gamage was owned privately by Dirigo Cruises, aka Eben Whitcomb.  Benji Whitcomb was full-time master, and I was promoted to relief skipper while we were in St. Thomas for the winter season.  She was also my first experience at doing a major rigging job.  We were in Greenport, NY, preparing for the "seamester" cruise to Bermuda and St. Thomas.  I was to remove all the rigging except for a few temporary pieces to steady the spars.  What made me nervous was we were in a time bind, and I was expected to work aloft with tools while removing rigging with people carrying on other duties on deck.  I worked very carefully keeping everything tied off so I couldn't drop anything, but still was concerned about an accident that would nail someone to the deck.  I finished the job without incident.  Then the "professional" rigger was to arrive with the new shrouds and stays to drop them over the truck.  The "professional" dropped a foot-long bronze fid from aloft.  It went through the forehatch, through a ladder tread, and stuck in the sole behind the ladder.  Whether or not it meant sacrificing time from all the other jobs being done, everyone cleared the deck until he was done.  The Gamage was a great experience.  I hope you enjoy your time back aboard. 

Capt. Tony

Bill that sounds like a fantastic start to the year!  It's hard to say who's luckier, you or your daughter.  Come to think of it, my highschool education was substandard-any chance I could repeat some course work?

Reflecting my prejudice, I think ALL highschool students should get to be involved in a program like that.  Maybe even have it sprung on them unknowingly after the three R's.

Quote from: chris2998 on December 10, 2008, 04:39:45 AM
that is awsome, I sure wish I could have done this when I was in school
No kidding, huh?  I had a choice of Industrial Arts or German and I even screwed that one up!

CapnK

Bill, that is *very* cool - both that you get to be a part of that experience, and that your daughter will be there as well. Do keep us posted - I'll come down to Charleston for sure. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Bill NH

Hi All,
Just a quick hi from a very sketchy internet cafe in Santo Domingo...  the winter aboard the schooner has been great so far, with an excellent crew to work with and a very enthusiastic and hard-working group of students!  We just arrived after a smooth passage from Trinidad, where we were for Carnival...  worked our way south along the islands before that.  Day after tomorrow we´re off for the Bay Islands of Honduras.  One of the educators aboard has started a blog with some pics of the ship and students; for anyone interested its at http://www.oceanclassroom.blogspot.com/  Hope to see a few of you when we´re on our way up the east coast in April and May.  Regards to all,
Bill
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

Tim

Bill thanks for the update, much appreciated have fun.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

BobW

Wow, what a great experience!  Thanks for sharing.

Bob
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff