News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Small boats and the sea

Started by mrb, January 26, 2009, 09:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrb

This is kind of in line with post on rescue at sea topic.

Thought it interesting all diff. ideas on what makes a safe boat for ocean passage when I read article in Feb. 2009 issue of Sail mag.  On page ten there is a blurb about smallest boat in transpac finish. 

A 63 year old man, Robert Crawford finished race in 19 days, 21 hrs. in his 1961 Cal-20.  Boat named Black Feathers is the smallest boat to finish race.

Of notable interst to me is that he experienced a broke rudder, repaired it and finished race.

This was his third Trans Pac so I guess you could say he was experienced.

He is a member of the Single handed Sailing Society and follows their saying of "do the race in the boat you have"

You can find more info on race and other single hand participants at www.sparkysfo.com/races/          Nothing else some good reading on a cold winter eve.

mrb

AdriftAtSea

Thanks for that link. :) Grog to you for it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

newt

Yep- its the sailor! I bet he didn't go out in that boat until it was seaworthy... and even then he had to do creative repairs at sea. Can you see diving on your rudder in 20 ft swells? My hat is off to the man.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...