News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The Venerable 'Atomic 4' thread.....

Started by Solace, January 03, 2006, 11:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solace

Last year I rebuilt my Atomic IV engine and transmission. I installed the electronic ignition 3 years ago and feel my engine is now up to the task of some long term cruising. I have no illusions about getting the full rated 30 hp - but feel whatever it is putting out is more than adequate to push my 27 fter along (Columbia 8.3). I have no arguments about diesel vs gas as far as dangers or mileage.

All that aside I am wondering if there are any out there who have done any long term cruising with an Atomic IV as your auxillary. Anybody go to the Caribbean? I'd love to hear of your experiences. That's what I'm hoping to do rather than springing the big bucks for a new (or used) diesel.

Thanks in advance of all of your input.

John

Zen

I have not, but I have heard of someone who went to Hawaii and back with one. He had no problems. But then, how much do you run your motor on a trip like that...
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Amorous

I am a fan of them. 
I've had more A4's than anything else and like them alot.  They're so much quieter. smoother. and more powerful than any diesel of the same weight.  And they're comparatively cheap!
They are like the bunny.....they keep going, and going!  A little water got in your tank?  So what?  It smokes a little til you clean the filter.  Wind a bit much and waves a bit steep?  Put the pedal to the metal and GO!  Missing a little because you haven't ran it much?  Replace the 99 cent spark plugs instead of a $100 injector.  Want some SERIOUS amperage?  Bolt on a 200 amp alternator, or TWO!  Not many people with a 9 HP Yanmar can do that!  Generator?  We don't need no stinking generator!
I get a kick out of the people who discount them because of the danger of gasoline onboard.  These are usually the same people who will spend $3000 or more hooking up a system to plot their course on their computer and then another $3000 for electronic charts and not bother to learn how to use a sextant!  Exactly HOW hard do they believe it is to keep the fittings tight and turn on a bilge blower for a couple of minutes before starting the engine? 
Me?  I'd rather be sailing.  Or if I feel like it, motoring like a bat out of heck.
Yeah, I kinda like em  ;D

starcrest

the ignition coil was waterlogged when I made it to the entrance to hilo bay on starcrest 2 .ended up getting towed in.replaced it and the capacitors and points basically by "eye ball boatwerx" no schematic, was able to figure top dead center of  the number one cylinder with a screw driver in the spark plug hole,and jigger rigged a retainer clasp for the distributor cap out of scrap metal and needle nose pliers.never again will I have gasoline inside a boat.I wont explain why but I escaped with my life.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Zen

"I wont explain why but I escaped with my life."

OH HELLS NO!!  I hate clif hangers!!!!!!! >:(

We want the WHOLE STORY!!!!

starcrest

not now, lets just say it was allpart of the learning experience.It happened at the dock ,not out in nowheresville,but I can tell you it could have happened anywhere....so I know now you had always better be prepaired for the worst these things dont just happen on tv and it only has to happen once.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"

Solace

. . . so,  Starcrest, put you down as "not a fan"  . . . he he

sorry to hear about your unfortunate 'lesson' - I think most gas engined boat skippers think about the dangers for time to time. Mostly we count on a little bit of diligence keeping us away from learning those unfortunate lessons first hand.

Cheers!

John

starcrest

some times you find out about things before its too late.my advise to you is to get a vapor detector becaue to cant be too careful.

Amorous

Man I hope I don't get blown up now that I've said all that!  It'd be kinda like diein from a cold, just embarassin!

djn

Hi All, two things.  1.  The Atomic 4 is a marine version of the continental y112.  This was the first motor to go into the first 100 Jeeps, then the army said they needed more power and the y164 was developed and used.  The y112 was then, as a developed motor, put in every conceiveable peice of industrail equipment you could think of.....and in boats.  The are sooo robust I would run one for ever without hesitation.  What does go wrong is the altinator, carborator, ignigtion systems....all the stuff that hangs off them.   2. gas fumes do explode but only in consintrated amounts.  If you have good suck/blow ventalation in the engine compartment, there is no concern. 

Here is a pic of my bike with the y112 in it

Amorous

I thought there were babe's in those pictures!!!!  Methinks you're holding out.

;D

Zen

djn

Sorry for holding out guys!!! :o ::) 8) ;D :D ;)

Amorous

Solace

As one big black lesbian said to the other . . . . "you da man"  ;D

Cheers!

John

Zen

Greetings dudes and dudettes,

Anyone out there familiar with an Atomic 4 transmission. I royally screwed up adjusting mine and now the clutch plates are off the spindle and out of the housing.  :o I'm wondering if I will need to pull the motor to get them back in, or can I take the trans ( partly) apart while the motor is still installed and the boat in the water. I posted the story on the Moyer site and got zip for an answer.

I am also seeing a leak at drive shaft connection, maybe that is the stuffing box. But it seems to be right at the shaft. Is that just a adjustment or should I pull the whole works and forget about sailing any this year. My other options are1.installing a outboard. 2. have a professional drive for an hour to fix, maybe big $$$$. 3. crawl, squeeze in the hole and pull things apart. ( cheapest but most painful)

AdriftAtSea

I think Option 3 is your best bet, since you're gonna want to know how to fix the beastie when you go cruising in any case.  Wish I could help you more... but don't know the tranny end of an Atomic 4 well enough to give you advice. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

I got an answer from Moyer. I can fix it without removing the motor. It will just take some patience and flexibility Whahooo! :D

Tingira

Hi everyone, I am making the the jump to ditch the A4 on my 1968 Islander 29.  I am going to go the outboard route.  I have a local person interested in purchasing it.  The beast is 40 years old, There are no problems with it, it has been maintained well.  Any insights anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Paul

s/v Faith

FWIW,

My first thought would be $500 for a complete 40 yo A-4 (ignition panel, controls, exhaust, motor, xmission, shaft, prop, etc).

That is what I might ask.  If he helped me pull it, I might ask less.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.