News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Crazing of compass glass

Started by djn, January 15, 2006, 12:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djn

Hi All, I have a bulkhead compass on my C25.  It is in an orbe and you can see it from inside the boat as well as outside the boat.  In the inside, the plastic (no glass) is clear and new looking.  On the outside it is yellowed and hazy and crazed.  What can I do to fix this.  It is still a good compass but just hard to read with a glance.  Cheers.

s/v Faith

Mine was sent back to the MFG by the prior owner right before I got it.  The compass was repaired(?) with a new glass, (I think they just replaced the whole thing).  He said they charged him less then $50.

Might contact the manufacture of your compass, they may have the same policy.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

djn

Great idea Faith.  I am going out to the boat this week and will pull it out and see what they say.  Cheers.

captedteach

I can fix it if its just UV damage - about 40.00 plus freight. shipping address on request
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

djn

Hi Captedteach, Sounds like a good deal to me.  My email is djnagle@comcast.net if you want to send me your address.  Thanks for the help. Cheers.

captedteach

Email with shipping address sent - remember Monday is a holiday  Robert E Lee Day - so PO's and banks will be closed

CaptTeach

Zen

Robert E Lee Day   ??? ??? ??? ???

Martin Luther King Jr. !
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

captedteach

It was Robert E Lee day for years and years before the Demoncrats changed it

CaptTeach

Adam

A while back, I cleaned up my compass using Brasso. It worked great for me... also works for fixing scratches on plastic watch faces (Swatch type watches)...

flame away!

;D

Adam

s/v Faith

Quote from: Adam on January 16, 2006, 12:18:19 PM
A while back, I cleaned up my compass using Brasso. It worked great for me... also works for fixing scratches on plastic watch faces (Swatch type watches)...

flame away!

;D

Adam

I have heard of using all different kinds of polish for crazed cabin windows... but never brasso.  That is a good tip.

...no flames here.  ;D

s/v Faith

Thought I would pass along this tip from Dennis, long time cruiser, and progressively smaller boat Sailor (now in a Flicka, so not sure how much small he will go).  ;D

He gave me a tip.  Ammonia, found in Windex and most glass cleaners is toxic to lexan and Plexiglas.

I think I had read this somewhere before, but he pointed out to me my port light windows (which were ok when I bought the boat) were most likely harmed by my use of Windex to clean them (and only maybe once or twice).

I have removed it from the boat.

AdriftAtSea

I think the safest, effective glass cleaner to use on a boat for plastics is white vinegar...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more