News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

portalbe oven

Started by jotruk, December 24, 2008, 03:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jotruk

I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with the portable ovens on the market now? I was looking at the Coleman portable and it seemed like a good deal, I like to bake bread and such at anchor and thought this might be a good way to go the link to it is http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/coleman-portable-oven.html any input would be appreciated/
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Lynx

What IF'S ??? your boat heels over to much and to hard when using the oven??

I suggest that you get well versed on pan bread. Pancake mix is all that I need and almost everywhere you can buy loafed bread. Just get some cake frosting pre made and make some pancakes and put the toping on it.

Quick and easy and very good!! ::)
MacGregor 26M

CharlieJ

;D ;D ;D

So don't use the oven while sailing, just while anchored

;D ;D ;D

Yeah, it should work just fine. But it will require storage room. Take a look at the various pressure cooking threads on this site, in this "Galley and Rations" section in fact.- lots of folks use pressure cookers as ovens, to bake cakes, bread, biscuits, etc. AND you can cook in that pot also- a twofer.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

jotruk

I just thought I would ask. I have made bread and stuff in a pressure cooker and it came out great. It has been a while since I have been to the islands and that was in the Navy so I'm a little short on knowledge of locale supplies.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Amgine

I haven't used many of the portables stoves/ovens, but most of them end up being somewhat similar in practice.

I have had a Kenyon butane, an Optimus paraffin, a Coleman propane, and I currently have a not-really-portable Force-10 Seacook (propane), which I've used only once.

The one I liked the most was the Optimus, although it sooted the ceiling. Most reliable, least stress inducing. I pretty much hated the Kenyon, the others were just fine other than being paranoid about storing the fuel outside the cabin.

For oven baking I've tried several things from the back packing store, and none of them worked as well as the cast iron dutch oven. There are some amazing recipes for these you can find related to Scouting - bread, cookies, roasts, plus more expected stews and casseroles. There's an amazingly expensive version of these, le Cruset iirc, which are ceramic enameled and it's as easy to clean as teflon but it doesn't scratch/wear out.

gdaiy

Lynx

My Seacock Stove work out after 14 months of 3 to 4 times a day use. Otherwise it was a great stove.
MacGregor 26M