News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Scuppers

Started by Marc, March 06, 2009, 10:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Okay guys, boat restoring time is just about here!!!  One of my projects I have listed is to install scuppers in my cockpit.  Do I need to install one on each side or just one in the center?  And where do I discharge to?  The sides or the stern.  I'm going to build a bridge deck and that will close up my so called drain.  It's where the keel cable goes through.  Also how big should I go,  1 1/2" or 2"?  I did get some work done on her today.  Mainly filling in gouges on the bow and scratches on the sides with resin.  It felt good to FINALLY be doing something on her.  But had to cover her back up tonight the weather says rain all weekend.  Before I got to work on her this morning I raked the backyard to get all my seadog's droppings up so that I was'nt stepping all over it.  LOL  Thanks guys, Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

AdriftAtSea

I'd recommend installing two of them, one to port, and one to starboard, since the boat will drain one either tack more than it would with just one in the center.  I'd also go with 2" drains, since on a given tack one will be doing the bulk of the work. They should drain either to the transom or to the opposite side of the boat.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Marc

Thankyou very much Adrift, grogs to you.  That is kind of what I was thinking but wanted to hear it from the "pros".  Thanks again

AdriftAtSea

You're obviously confused... I'm not a pro... :) Glad to help though. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Gus

measure twice, cut once? Epoxy likes PVC, but make sure you wipe down the PVC with acetone or something like that, there's a lot of wax in the PVC (I guess you'll have to go thru the cockpit wall and then the transom, right?)
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/

Allan

Drain through the transom not out to the side.
Use scupper valves over the outlet on the transom to prevent water coming in a following sea.

Allan
Macgregor 26X "MacSea"
Tingoora, Queensland, Australia

CharlieJ

Allan- that's not always a possibility. Many transoms are way above the water, as you can see in this picture. The cockpit drains are the holes beside the engine well
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pappy Jack

That's true Charlie but on an old Mac the best way would be out the transom.

Fair wind,

Pappy Jack

CharlieJ

;D

Have to agree. Same deal as on our old Lindsey.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Marc

I'm glad that you guys have responded so well to this,  I'm gonna go out both sides of the cockpit 90 degree elbow back aft approximately 6' to scuppers on the transom.  Will probably be doing this in a couple weeks.  Anyone know where to get 2" scuppers at a fair price?  Found out yesterday that I can get some parts that I need from a local boat dealer, prices are comparable to internet if you include the shipping.  Snow is being predicted for this Friday several inches of accumalation but it has"nt been precisely where yet.  I got a lot of work done on the boat last Saturday.  Budget analysis says I may need to reuse alot of the old parts.  Bloks and pulleys etc.  I want to get her in just waiting for a few good weeks weather wise.  Again, thanks and grogs to all of you.  Marc