-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

new boat and new boater need help

Started by Publius, February 08, 2009, 02:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrb

Publius

First a late welcome aboard

I have been following your questions and answerers for a few days and have not offers any advice, but would like to ask a question.

Where do you plan on adding ports for quarter and vee berth. Are you wanting to cut these in the cabin sides or are you thinking of actually putting them in the hull sides below deck level.  There makes a world of difference where you put them.

Second it may not be my business but how much money and time are you willing to put into this project.

These need to be thought out before any answers can be given. IMHOP
mrb

Gus

I have too been reading this thread. The only advice I can give you, start small!! Don't jump right on it, epoxy work can be very frustrating, specially when everything gets sticky. Took me a loooong time to get the hand of it, and I probably lost it since I haven't laid a finger on my boat in a while. Start with a small project, like re-drilling any wholes for hardware, filling them up with epoxy, then drill then again and install the hardware. Like I said, it can be very very frustrating. Just my .02

Gus
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/

JRinSD

I am new to this forum also.
Here is a copy of the Clipper manual.

I hope it helps.

John

Mr. Fixit

Adriftatsea mentioned that dremel now makes a tool similar to the fein multimaster--that is true. Since feins exclusive rights have expired,Dremel,Porter Cable, Harbor Freight, all have models similar to the Fein,(there may be others that I am not aware of )I am sure for ocassional use they are all more cost effective than the Fein. Replacement blades  for the Fein are also pricy. Quality stuff but not cheap

mitiempo

Hi Publius
Welcome to Sailfar
I just looked at the manual and it's very complete except for pictures.....so I googled Clipper 26 in the image search and found pics of two different Clipper 26 with ports. One has two, one each side of the hull just above the rubrail and the other has 3 per side also just below the rubrail. In both cases they are quite small, at a guess 10" L x 3" H. I would only put fixed ports there, not opening. As far as eliminating the poptop and replacing it with a real cabintop, I would keep it as low as possible and taper it into the deck forward  to keep it from looking boxy. I hope the pics work.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

Publius

sorry it took me so long to get back on here, my computer died.   okay thanks so much for the manual and pictures.  i actually found a friend who will be willing to help me with the hull work (he works with fibreglass daily).

i see the size of the ports you are talking about, this size would be functional for providing light however why should they not be able to be opened?

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

Publius

ive been thinking about switching to a cutter type rig, though the mast sits closer to the front than is optimal,   thoughts?

I thought about perhaps lengthening the boom to increase main sail area to counter for front push or pull from an added front sail

what about a solent stay?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

CharlieJ

Cutter rig from a sloop? Why? More complications than benefits from my viewpoint.. Not that I don't like the cutter- makes huge sense for an offshore boat..

Adding a Solent Stay makes more sense on a sloop. Been thinking that for Tehani myself
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

mitiempo

I'd say that opening ports would be okay in the raised deck portion of the boat, but not below the sheer.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

AdriftAtSea

I wouldn't change it to a cutter rig.  There really isn't that much advantage on a boat as small as yours.  A solent stay for a storm jib would make sense and wouldn't necessarily require running backstays if setup properly.

As for opening ports, you really don't want them on the topsides, since when the boat is heeled they may end up underwater and are likely to leak then.  If the new ports were on the cabintop, above the sheer, they could be made to open with far less risk or problems.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Publius

okay, i will definately be doing the solent stay option... thanks for the info

isn't there a way to insure a water tight seal on opening ports?  The idea behind installing the ports is A. natural lighting  B. ventilation   (the quarter births may become quite stifling otherwise).  If lighting will be the only benefit I would still install the ports, but ventilation would be a great bonus.  If the ports are sealed tightly, is there really a risk to leakage/sinkage because of them?

Thanks for all the info guys,  pictures are coming SOON!! Im just so busy :-(

mrb

If you spend enough you can get ports that will dog down and not leak, however the problem will be when someone doesn't know to or forgets to close ports. Generally happens eventually.

Congratulations on moving on with rebuild
Melvin

Auspicious

Grog to mitiempo for the photos.

Please see the other thread for my thoughts on the pop-top.

I agree that opening ports for the v-berth are unwise. Is there a deck hatch? That makes much more sense for letting light and air into the v-berth.

For the quarter-berths, consider an opening port into the cockpit. These are surprisingly useful providing ventilation and access from the cockpit to things stored on the longitudinal bulkheads of the berths. Some small boats have a small shelf below such ports specifically to store things you might want to reach (horn, flashlight) while keeping them dryer and in better shape than they would be in cockpit storage.

Why is painting the hull a priority? I would do it later, after all new holes are cut and fittings are dry-fit but not installed. Painting early feels like progress but leaves you having to be even more careful moving things around the boat.

If you will have a hanked-on jib I wouldn't bother with a Solent stay. If you plan for a roller-furling jib then a Solent stay does make more sense to allow you keep a smaller sail hanked on and bagged on deck. By definition, a Solent stay attaches to the mast very close to the main forestay and so should not drive you to use running backs. Incidentally, a fixed Solent stay makes tacking a pain, so you might want to plan on a removable stay.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Publius

auspicious, good point on the painting.  I do just want to feel like I am making progress.  The exterior hull paint shouldn't take any damage there is really nothing thats needs to be done with the hull aside from painting. 

The ports you mentioned sound like an interesting alternative, I am going down to work on the boat Sunday so ill take a look at how that could flesh out.

thanks again all!!