News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cleaning bilge?

Started by Lynx, June 17, 2008, 05:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

My black water tank ran over into the bilge. Now I can't get the oder out. Any suggestions?
MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

Try using an enzyme based cleaner that will get rid of the biological component of the mess in the bilge.  There is probably something developed for cleaning portable toilets that would do the job for you.  :)

Chlorine bleach works pretty well, but is rather corrosive to metal parts in the bilge.  :)

To get rid of the odor, after the bilge has been cleaned, put a couple of containers of wet used coffee grounds out around the boat.  Big open tupperware containers work best. You can get the grounds for free at most local coffee shops.  The coffee will absorb and neutralize most odors.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lynx

I had read that laundry detergent will work like liquid Tide. Pour some in, add water and go for a sail. Empty and your all clean.

Anybody try this?
MacGregor 26M

Godot

Might work.  Where do you empty it, though?  I think it is pretty much illegal to pump it overboard (so I'm told, anyhow).
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Lynx

As long as your soap is biodegradable it is OK to dump overboard. Black water is not unless off shore. One could always collect it and dump down the nearest toilet.
MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

BTW, if you have any oil in your bilge, pumping it overboard is illegal, even if you mix it with detergent to get it to mix with water and not form a slick.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lynx

No inboard so no oil. The bilge was empty but smelly. I put in about 2 teaspons of liquid laundry detergent and about 1 1/2 gal's of water and let it set overnight at the marina. Emptied the next day and dumped in a toilet. No smells. This works and is cheep.
MacGregor 26M

Norm

We just had the very same issue. 

Our Y-valve had a broken handle.  Happily we bought an identical Y-valve and were able to replace the guts of the thing without trouble... beyond losing about a liter of black water into the bilge.

Averisera has very clean bilges.  That makes cleaning the bilge easy, to start with.  Second, we have a gallon of white vinegar on hand and use it freely.  Maybe an hour after starting the project, we were cleaned up and having a cup of tea below.  No odor.

Truth is, dumping "black" bilge water over the side is illegal.  The bucket spilled over the side by accident, though.  When at my home slip, I have a shop vacuum for bilge water removal and to aid in proper disposal.

White vinegar.  Works wonders.
AVERISERA
Boston, MA
USA 264

s/v Faith

QuoteWhite vinegar.  Works wonders.

I bet we have no less then 4 quarts aboard Faith right now.  We cook with it, clean with it, even bathe in it... good stuff.  ;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

matt195583

.... Vanilla esence works wonders , I had a freezer die while i was on holidays for a week. I got home to a shed stinking of meat that had been at 100+ farenhiet for 4-5 days .. trust me vanilla essence is the go.